1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 20, 2017 8:47 AM by Dude!

Can't log into Server's GUI from local PC on Oracle Linux 7.3

I am trying to install oracle db and EM using GUI on the server, the server has been newly installed with Oracle Linux 7.3.

When I use ssh to login the server from my PC, everything works fine, and the GUI works fine in the server's local monitor too. But when when I try to login GUI from my PC, I get an error from a pop-up window :

"Oh no! Something has gone wrong. a problem has occurred and the system can't recover please log out and try again". 

The information in shell is :

[root@OEM13c ~]# gnome-session

gnome-session-is-accelerated: No composite extension.

gnome-session-check-accelerated: Helper exited with code 256

gnome-session-is-accelerated: No composite extension.

gnome-session-check-accelerated: Helper exited with code 256

** (process:21448): WARNING **: software acceleration check failed: Child process exited with code 1

I has used secure CRT and Xmanager to log into another server's GUI( with Oracle Linux R5U11) from my PC, it works fine, and X server seems fine too.

I had choosed "minimal install" during installation of Oracle Linux 7.3 and installed "Server with GUI" afterwards.

[XXXXX@OEM13c ~]$ yum grouplist

Loaded plugins: langpacks, ulninfo

ol7_latest                                                                                                          18884/18884

Installed Environment Groups:

Server with GUI

Available Environment Groups:

Minimal Install

Infrastructure Server

File and Print Server

Basic Web Server

Virtualization Host

Available Groups:

Compatibility Libraries

Console Internet Tools

Development Tools

Graphical Administration Tools

Legacy UNIX Compatibility

Scientific Support

Security Tools

Smart Card Support

System Administration Tools

System Management

Done

Would anyone have ideas how to solve this problem?  thank you very much.

PS: I found "gnome-panel" is missing in 7.3 compared to R5.

• 1. Re: Can't log into Server's GUI from local PC on Oracle Linux 7.3
          Dude!

You expect CRT and Xmanager to work in release 7? I wouldn't expect anything GUI that worked under release 5 to be still supported in release 7. You probably have 10 or more years of development progress in-between.

I suggest to check /var/log/messages and Xorg logs. The software acceleration message is only a warning and may indicate that your PC hardware isn't fully supported. But there is simply no information here to pin the culprit.

But why bother with a GUI for the purpose of installing Oracle database, etc. You do not need to run a X window server on the Linux box to have a remote GUI. My suggestion would be to use Tiger VNC, or ssh -X forwarding. For a Windows client, free mobaxterm should be useful, which is a single application that provides what you need. Simply ssh -X into the Linux server and start the Oracle runInstaller and do not set any DISPLAY variable.