3 Ответы Последний ответ: 21.04.2017 13:41, автор: Christian Berg

Diagnose BI Server Query

Sherry George

Dear community members,

OBIEE 12.2.1.0.0

I have a question about the Diagnose option in OBIEE. What is it used for, as in under what scenario would it be useful and how to interpret the results. I saw a support doc for 11.1.1.9.5 saying never to use it for on-premise. Does the same restriction apply for 12c. I have no particular requirements or issue, but just to see if it could be used/useful in an on-premise setup.

Thanks,

Sherry

• 1. Re: Diagnose BI Server Query
          Christian Berg

I basically allows you to get closer to a certain comprehension of what the logical query does and how it does it (ref https://www.slideshare.net/ChristianBerg8/back2-basics-a-day-in-the-life-of-an-oracle-analytics-query  )

In your example you have 1 dimensional attribute (from 1 dimension...d'uh :-) ) and 2 measures from the same fact table. The Dimension-Probe tells you that there's 613 (distinct) rows for that dimensional attribute.

The Fact-Probe simply gives you the option to retrieve the measures once without dimensionality enforced (your first two lines) and then with domensionality enforced.

Basically you can - in this way - see issues with badly configured multi-star queries and the endless issue of "I don't get any data back oh my god why do I not get any data back oh that's right I just didn't configure my model properly and never bothered to check my content levels" :-P

• 2. Re: Diagnose BI Server Query
            Sherry George

Thank you Christian.

Christian Berg wrote:

Basically you can - in this way - see issues with badly configured multi-star queries and the endless issue of "I don't get any data back oh my god why do I not get any data back oh that's right I just didn't configure my model properly and never bothered to check my content levels" :-P

Something along these lines was I hoping for with this feature. This way you can bypass a couple of clicks to see a little bit of  what is going on with the query. The example was with a quick and dirty rpd, I apologize. Going to create a better test case and check the results, And yes, I have read the "life of a query", but in a RM blog. Excellent stuff (just went through the slides as wells now).

• 3. Re: Diagnose BI Server Query
              Christian Berg

Sherry George wrote:

The example was with a quick and dirty rpd, I apologize.

Why apologize? The example was straight-foward and allowed me to make the explanation just fine. Nothing more needed to get the point across