4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2017 3:37 PM by thatJeffSmith-Oracle

[4.2] Formating partial worksheet content always brings you back to line 1

B.Delmée

Suppose I have a long worksheet with many queries (i do that all the time, keeping a log of queries i tried while investigating some problem)

Now I highlight one specific query in the middle of that sheet, and format it (Ctrl-F7).

It gets formatted alright (not quite alright, actually, here's hoping for 4.2.1), but kaboom! i am also brought back to line 1 of the sheet, losing context of where i even started from (and remember i cannot set a bookmark within a worksheet).

I find this behaviour rather annoying.

• 1. Re: [4.2] Formating partial worksheet content always brings you back to line 1
          Vadim Tropashko-Oracle

Reproduced, bugged. Thank you.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: [4.2] Formating partial worksheet content always brings you back to line 1
            thatJeffSmith-Oracle

>>It gets formatted alright (not quite alright, actually, here's hoping for 4.2.1)

When you have time, you'll have to elaborate.

Well, not have to, but feel free to.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: [4.2] Formating partial worksheet content always brings you back to line 1
              B.Delmée

WRT: formating

I do not think the couple examples i (or others) provided during the beta phase all work yet with 4.2.0

Anyway we're talking about preferences, so there's no reason to believe mine would please everyone.

I am glad to know the underlying parser is now more powerful, and I trust Vadim that those willing to tweak custom rules can have a lot of control.

Realistically though many users (including me) do not want to have to learn a new language just to drive a feature of their IDE.

The default (formater) settings strike me as a little odd, unlike any of the common formatting styles i've come across or used in past jobs

I cannot even seem to reproduce the behaviour i had with the pre-4.2 formatter - that would be a start.

Further, i suppose exposing more parameters (or parameterised rules) would go a long way (somewhere between those currently supported and the smorgasbord toad offers)

As I once suggested in a previous ticket, one or several presets, sanctioned by oracle in-house gurus would be very nice - and getting consensus on this would force the developers to "eat their own dog food".

Easier said than done, I know, but you asked for input;-)

• 4. Re: [4.2] Formating partial worksheet content always brings you back to line 1
                thatJeffSmith-Oracle

>>Realistically though many users (including me) do not want to have to learn a new language just to drive a feature of their IDE.

Correct, that's what the preferences are for. The super advanced bits are for folks who are very particular about their formatting and want to do things the preferences do not currently address.

>>The default (formater) settings strike me as a little odd, unlike any of the common formatting styles i've come across or used in past jobs

I wouldn't recommend default settings for almost any serious coder. Everyone's going to have their own definition of what 'right' is.

>>I cannot even seem to reproduce the behaviour i had with the pre-4.2 formatter - that would be a start.

This was never a criteria for the new formatter. The old one was not good. It failed to properly handle a lot of different syntaxes. If you like/prefer the old formatter, keep a copy of version 4.1 around to format your code.

>>As I once suggested in a previous ticket, one or several presets, sanctioned by oracle in-house gurus would be very nice - and getting consensus on this

I consulted one of our guys who has sold a half million books or so on PL/SQL, he has provided many code samples and test cases. He continues to provide feedback. Getting consensus on something like code formatting isn't likely. Even Kris and I disagree on leading vs traiing commas. He wins b/c he's the boss

If you find specific things you'd like addressed, please throw them out there. The formatter isn't done. This is step one, and it was a BIG step.