3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2017 3:42 PM by Gary Graham-Oracle

SQl Developer 4.2.0.17.089.1709_x64 suddenly hangs

Mohammed.

While working on sqldeveloper with the version mentioned on the title I found that is is suddenly hangs when I press on  another SQL worksheet.

1- This issue happened many times with me without any reason or fixed time.

2- This issue is happening only with this version of sqldeveloper.

3- I user windows 7 64 bit.

4- Using the default java version which is already included in sqldeveloped.

5- After 5 or 10 minutes of the hang I end the process of sqldeveloper and open it again to start developing.

Regards.

• 1. Re: SQl Developer 4.2.0.17.089.1709_x64 suddenly hangs
          thatJeffSmith-Oracle

Does this happen when you click on another already opened worksheet, or when you go to open a new worksheet?

And this happens every time?

• 2. Re: SQl Developer 4.2.0.17.089.1709_x64 suddenly hangs
            Mohammed.

For My case,

I tried to click on the object viewer and it is hangs.

I think to be specific, it hangs after I press the object viewer to start searching an object.

This hang happens randomly, once a day during working "I always use sqldeveloper 7 hours a day",.

PFB.

p1.png

• 3. Re: SQl Developer 4.2.0.17.089.1709_x64 suddenly hangs
              Gary Graham-Oracle

In order to see what is going on in the JVM during the hang we need a full thread dump. Here is a primer on how to get one...

There are a couple of ways to get a full thread dump for a Java application.

If the application was launched from a Cmd window (Windows) or terminal (Linux)

just

1. Ctrl-Break (Windows)

2. Ctrl-\     (Linux)

and the dump will display there. You may need to increase the window or terminal

buffer size if the dump is large to avoid the first part scrolling off-screen.

It is usually more convenient, regardless of how the application gets launched,

to use the Java jstack utility to get a dump. To use jstack just

1. Open a Cmd window (Windows) or terminal (Linux)

2. Verify the PATH environment variable references a JAVA_HOME

The bin directory of the JAVA_HOME will contain the jps and jstack utilities

3. Use the jps utility to list the process ids (PID) of all Java applications,

then look for the process id of "OracleIdeLauncher"

4. Use the jstack utility to list a full thread dump.  For example...

C:\Tools>echo %JAVA_HOME%

C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_121

C:\Tools>jps

8384 OracleIdeLauncher

5144 Jps

C:\Tools>jstack 8384

2017-02-13 11:52:27

Full thread dump Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (25.121-b13 mixed mode):