1 2 3 Previous Next 31 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2017 1:23 AM by William Russell

SQLdev 4.2 - Does not coping data

William Russell

I am having issues copying data from one instance to another - tables are created but the data does not get copied across - checking and copy data button has no effect. suggestions, please?

Further to this, I can still copy data when using version 4.1.5.

• 1. Re: SQLdev 4.2 - Does not coping data
          Gary Graham-Oracle

I am having issues copying data from one instance to another - tables are created but the data does not get copied across

Are you saying the data is not copied and you get no error messages explaining why it fails?  That would be rather strange.

Would the successful copy using 4.1.5 be using the same source and target connections?  I assume you are using Tools > Database Copy...

If so, then the Summary page should look something like...

DBCopyTwoTablesLocalToRemote.jpg

In my test case, I created an empty schema (SCOTT_CLONE) on a remote 12.2 instance and used Database Copy to copy two tables from user SCOTT on a local 11.2 XE instance to the remote instance.  Both the DDL and insert DML ran fine.

The target connection user SCOTT_CLONE was only granted...

1. Connect role.

2. Resource role.

3 Unlimited tablespace system privilege.

If this differs from your use case, please post information from the Database Copy log tab.  If nothing is showing up there, you might have to start SQL Developer (the ...\sqldeveloper\sqldeveloper\bin\sqldeveloper.exe) from the command line to see any error messages that appear in the console.

• 2. Re: SQLdev 4.2 - Does not coping data
            William Russell

Hi Gary, yes, the tables are created with not data copied.

• 3. Re: SQLdev 4.2 - Does not coping data

Hi Gary, yes, the tables are created with not data copied.

Please REREAD the reply and answer ALL of the questions you were ask.

• 4. Re: SQLdev 4.2 - Does not coping data
                William Russell

I am having issues copying data from one instance to another - tables are created but the data does not get copied across

Are you saying the data is not copied and you get no error messages explaining why it fails?  That would be rather strange.

* Response Yes you are correct no error message, and not data copied

Would the successful copy using 4.1.5 be using the same source and target connections?  I assume you are using Tools > Database Copy...

If so, then the Summary page should look something like...

*Response Yes using the same connections and the same permissions, and using Database Copy ....

Screenshot in the previous reply

DBCopyTwoTablesLocalToRemote.jpg

In my test case, I created an empty schema (SCOTT_CLONE) on a remote 12.2 instance and used Database Copy to copy two tables from user SCOTT on a local 11.2 XE instance to the remote instance.  Both the DDL and insert DML ran fine.

* Response I didn't get the data copied across

The target connection user SCOTT_CLONE was only granted...

1. Connect role.

2. Resource role.

3 Unlimited tablespace system privilege.

* Response same connections and previlages

If this differs from your use case, please post information from the Database Copy log tab.  If nothing is showing up there, you might have to start SQL Developer (the ...\sqldeveloper\sqldeveloper\bin\sqldeveloper.exe) from the command line to see any error messages that appear in the console.

* Response what command line option?

• 5. Re: SQLdev 4.2 - Does not coping data
                  Gary Graham-Oracle

what command line option?

Not an option, but opening a terminal window (Cmd window on Windows).  Something like...

DBCopyTwoTablesLocalToRemoteFromConsoleWithLog.jpg

and you should get a Database Copy results tab as shown above.

• 6. Re: SQLdev 4.2 - Does not coping data
                    William Russell

Ok, No log file is created, I changed the preferences to save log file local and got zero size files created.

I'll try downloading the software again

• 7. Re: SQLdev 4.2 - Does not coping data
                      William Russell

OK I have downloaded SQL Developer again and the data does not copy. The Statements - log stops at

2020RACI Prod47select count(*) from MDSYS.all_sdo_geom_metadata where OWNER = 'RACI'null

But does not go on to copy the records.

There is no error message or anything but still works in version 4.1.5

This is very strange both instances are using 11g

• 8. Re: SQLdev 4.2 - Does not coping data
                        Gary Graham-Oracle

In my case, switching to all tables, all views, all materialized views, the next statement in the log sequence after the MDSYS.all_sdo_geom_metadata is...

select constraint_name from user_constraints where constraint_type = 'R' and table_name =:NAME  "NAME"="DEPT

I suppose the standard advice applies here: trying renaming or deleting the system<sqldev-version> under the SQL Developer user settings folder, restart SQL Developer without migrating settings from a prior version, then try the Database Copy again.  Rather than Database Copy, you can try drag 'n drop of a table across instances and see if that works.

• 9. Re: SQLdev 4.2 - Does not coping data
                          thatJeffSmith-Oracle

Do you co-workers see the same problem?

Have you tried just copying a single table vs an entire schema?

Does Tools > Database Export work?

• 10. Re: SQLdev 4.2 - Does not coping data

OK I have downloaded SQL Developer again and the data does not copy. The Statements - log stops at

2020RACI Prod47select count(*) from MDSYS.all_sdo_geom_metadata where OWNER = 'RACI'null

Ok - then it it time to:

1. post the full source table DDL - table, indexes, constraints

2. post the full target table DDL - table, indexes, constraints (the DDL of the table that is actually created that SHOULD, but might not, BE a clone of the source

3. sample data from the source table - post at least 1 row

4. results of MANUALLY trying to insert  the one row from #3 above

My question would be why a COUNT(*) is being done from the MDSYS schema.

There may be a privilege issue. The data may be getting inserted into a DIFFERENT table with that same name because of a synonym.

• 11. Re: SQLdev 4.2 - Does not coping data
                              William Russell

I just may have stumbled on something has this version of SQL Developer add code to write details to www.oracle.com?

found an error message "Failed to upload usage logs to server. caused by www.oracle.com at java.net.Inet6AddressImpl.lookupAllHostAddr(Native Method)"

Source oracle.dbtools.raptor.usages.ServerLocations

• 12. Re: SQLdev 4.2 - Does not coping data
                                thatJeffSmith-Oracle

no, that's been in the tool for years, you're prompted to opt into sharing usage details so we can help improve the product

• 13. Re: SQLdev 4.2 - Does not coping data
                                  William Russell

Not that was not it -  I turned off logging usage data - error has stopped.

I have tried to copy one table with four rows in a different instance, this failed to copy data too, stopping after executing

392TWREF Prod47select count(*) from MDSYS.all_sdo_geom_metadata where OWNER = 'TWREF'null

The thing is the copy works in version 4.1.5 the only difference is the version of sql developer.

I am totally flummoxed in this one, I have even tried on a different machine, upgrading to the latest JDK.

There has to be something different in the copy function between versions. Note I am working in

Note I am working in an APEX central oracle database environment with numerous instances with individual user permissions.

I have even attempted copying data in our DBfactory environment with no success while I have no issues using 4.1.5.

Something significant has changed.

• 14. Re: SQLdev 4.2 - Does not coping data
                                    Gary Graham-Oracle

You can control this feature via Tools > Preferences > Usage Reporting > Allow automatic usage reporting to Oracle.

1 2 3 Previous Next