1 2 3 Previous Next 36 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2017 11:34 PM by jgarry

ORA-12514: TNS:listener

Bob MacDonald

I have searched for my error in the forum and there is no part of the suggested solutions I can follow since I cannot connect to the database

Everything was working fine April 5. I went on three weeks holiday and last night I had a problem with my app login, but I was able to connect in sql developer.

Now I cannot connect in sql plus or in sql developer. The message in SQL+ is

ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service requested in connect descriptor

In sql developer it is similar: Test failed: Listener refused the connection with the following error ORA 12505, TNS:listener does not currently know of SID in connect descriptor.

I have reviewed the path and other oracle environment variables and while they weren't there, putting them in has made no difference.

What could have happened while I was away (apart from several reboots for Windows and Dell and anti virus software)?

I am the only user. This is a very minimal setup. I could restore from the last backup if this would help, but I have never done this so I don't know what the result would be. My own data is completely recoverable from exports if a database restore would fix the problem..

Thanks for your help

------------------

ORACLE_HOME is C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\server

ORACLE_BASE C:\oraclexe\app\oracle

ORACLE_SID (never heard of this one before) is XE - is this wrong ?

My TNSNAMES.ORA is unchanged (C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\server\network\ADMIN)

XE =

(DESCRIPTION =

(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = DELL-DESKTOP)(PORT = 1521))

(CONNECT_DATA =

(SERVER = DEDICATED)

(SERVICE_NAME = XE)

)

)

EXTPROC_CONNECTION_DATA =

(DESCRIPTION =

(ADDRESS_LIST =

(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC1))

)

(CONNECT_DATA =

(SID = PLSExtProc)

(PRESENTATION = RO)

)

)

ORACLR_CONNECTION_DATA =

(DESCRIPTION =

(ADDRESS_LIST =

)

(CONNECT_DATA =

(SID = CLRExtProc)

(PRESENTATION = RO)

)

)

The listener.ora is in the same place

SID_LIST_LISTENER =

(SID_LIST =

(SID_DESC =

(SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)

(ORACLE_HOME = C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\server)

(PROGRAM = extproc)

)

(SID_DESC =

(SID_NAME = CLRExtProc)

(ORACLE_HOME = C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\server)

(PROGRAM = extproc)

)

)

LISTENER =

(DESCRIPTION_LIST =

(DESCRIPTION =

(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = DELL-DESKTOP)(PORT = 1521))

)

)

DEFAULT_SERVICE_LISTENER = (XE)

• 1. Re: ORA-12514: TNS:listener

Could you post the output from the following please?

tnsping xe

lsnrctl stat

lsnrctl services

• 2. Re: ORA-12514: TNS:listener
            Rasheed_

post lsnrctl status  output

• 3. Re: ORA-12514: TNS:listener
              Rasheed_

login to DB

sqlplus / as sysdba

sho parameter db_name

--for getting SID

select instance_name from v$instance;

--for service_name

sho parameter service_name

If you are specifying service_name in tns , make sure listener status show same service with READY status (at least not BLOCKED

• 4. Re: ORA-12514: TNS:listener
                AndrewSayer

Does the database live on the same system as your sql developer? Or is it maintained remotely?

The error means that your connection request has managed to make it through to a listener fine, but the service name you requested isnt currently registered with the listener. This usually means the database is not online.

If the database is local (which would be my guess as you have a listener file) then you can start it up, from cmd:

sc query OracleServiceXE

<is the service running?>

<yes>ok next step

<no>sc start OracleServiceXE

<if you had to start the service then give it a minute or two>

set oracle_sid=XE

sqlplus / as sysdba

startup

What happens now when you connect?

If it doesn't work then copy and paste the full output from the above commands and also:

lsnrctl status

• 5. Re: ORA-12514: TNS:listener
                  EdStevens

Bob MacDonald wrote:

I have searched for my error in the forum and there is no part of the suggested solutions I can follow since I cannot connect to the database

Have you tried connecting without the listener?  Since this all appears to be a local XE database, there is no reason you shouldn't be able to open a command prompt and:

sqlplus / as sysdba

You say you looked everywhere on the forum.  Did you look elsewhere?  Might I suggest ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service :: edstevensdba

Everything was working fine April 5. I went on three weeks holiday and last night I had a problem with my app login, but I was able to connect in sql developer.

Now I cannot connect in sql plus or in sql developer. The message in SQL+ is

ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service requested in connect descriptor

In sql developer it is similar: Test failed: Listener refused the connection with the following error ORA 12505, TNS:listener does not currently know of SID in connect descriptor.

I have reviewed the path and other oracle environment variables and while they weren't there, putting them in has made no difference.

On a Windows system you typically won't see the ORA* enviornment variables in the command line enviornment.  They are in the registry.

What could have happened while I was away (apart from several reboots for Windows and Dell and anti virus software)?

I am the only user. This is a very minimal setup. I could restore from the last backup if this would help, but I have never done this so I don't know what the result would be. My own data is completely recoverable from exports if a database restore would fix the problem..

There is zero indication at this point that the database is in need of any type of recovery.  Do not go there simply because you don't know what else to do.  When you find yourself in a hole, the first rule is STOP DIGGING.

As others have said, you need to establish that the database itself is running and is known to the listener.  You've been asked to show the output of 'lsnrctl status'.  That is far, far more revealing than the contents of listener.ora

The first thing to check, since this is a Windows system, is if the Windows service for the database is running.  Go to the 'services' control panel ('services.msc' from the command line, if you can't find it the ever-changing Windows menu system) and look for something like OracleServiceXE  (I can't remember the exact name).  It should be started.

Next, try to log on to the database as a local connection with 'sqlplus / as sysdba'.  This connection will not need the listener.  Show us the full, exact command and the full, exact result.

• 6. Re: ORA-12514: TNS:listener
                    John Thorton

Post excerpt from alert_XE.log file that shows the database has been started & is now up & online

ora-12514 ALWAYS only occurs due to a problem on DB Server system.
                    One cause of this problem is when the Oracle database is down & needs to be started.
                    A remote client send a request to the Listener asking to be connected to a specific service.
                    If/when the listener does not know anything about that service, the listener responds with ora-12514

post results from the following two OS commands:
                    lsnrctl status
                    lsnrctl service

Since every connection request to the listener gets logged, listener.log file will contain a line with 12514 as status code.

This line contains valuable debugging details. So post this line & surrounding lines.

for additional debugging suggestions read the URL below:
                    http://edstevensdba.wordpress.com/2011/03/19/ora-12514/

• 7. Re: ORA-12514: TNS:listener
                      Bob MacDonald

Lots of replies - sorry I didn't know if email was enabled so I tried a few things that will set me back

PS (I am a retired programmer, not a DBA - lots new here)

here is output of lnsrctl

LSNRCTL for 32-bit Windows: Version 11.2.0.2.0 - Production on 01-MAY-2017 14:23:14

Copyright (c) 1991, 2010, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=EXTPROC1)))

STATUS of the LISTENER

------------------------

Alias                     LISTENER

Version                   TNSLSNR for 32-bit Windows: Version 11.2.0.2.0 - Production

Start Date                01-MAY-2017 14:11:19

Uptime                    0 days 0 hr. 11 min. 54 sec

Trace Level               off

Security                  ON: Local OS Authentication

SNMP                      OFF

Default Service           XE

Listener Parameter File   C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\server\network\admin\listener.ora

Listener Log File         C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\diag\tnslsnr\DELL-DESKTOP\listener\alert\log.xml

Listening Endpoints Summary...

(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=ipc)(PIPENAME=\\.\pipe\EXTPROC1ipc)))

(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=DELL-DESKTOP)(PORT=1521)))

Services Summary...

Service "CLRExtProc" has 1 instance(s).

Instance "CLRExtProc", status UNKNOWN, has 1 handler(s) for this service...

Service "PLSExtProc" has 1 instance(s).

Instance "PLSExtProc", status UNKNOWN, has 1 handler(s) for this service...

The command completed successfully

I am now able to connect to the database with sqlplus - but sqldeveloper still gives the same problem - as if it was looking for a listener. In the logs I saw a listener_died message and a Windows 32 internal error.

01-MAY-2017 14:08:24 * service_died * CLRExtProc * 12547

TNS-12547: TNS:lost contact

TNS-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error

TNS-00517: Lost contact

32-bit Windows Error: 54: Unknown error

tnsping says OK and finds the tnsnames file correctly

services returns the following

LSNRCTL for 32-bit Windows: Version 11.2.0.2.0 - Production on 01-MAY-2017 14:35:48

Copyright (c) 1991, 2010, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=EXTPROC1)))

Services Summary...

Service "CLRExtProc" has 1 instance(s).

Instance "CLRExtProc", status UNKNOWN, has 1 handler(s) for this service...

Handler(s):

"DEDICATED" established:0 refused:0

LOCAL SERVER

Service "PLSExtProc" has 1 instance(s).

Instance "PLSExtProc", status UNKNOWN, has 1 handler(s) for this service...

Handler(s):

"DEDICATED" established:0 refused:0

LOCAL SERVER

The command completed successfully

• 8. Re: ORA-12514: TNS:listener
                        AndrewSayer

"I am now able to connect to the database with sqlplus - but sqldeveloper still gives the same problem - as if it was looking for a listener"

How are you connecting with sqlplus? Are you using the tnsnames entry or are you using local connection? i.e are you

sqlplus / as sysdba

or

sqlplus someone/password@xe

?

How are you connecting via sql developer? (same questions, are you using the tnsnames entry / any other way through the listener or are you using a local connection?)

Your lsnrctl output suggests your XE database has not been started up and registered with the listener, so it can only be connected to locally, once connected locally you should be able to start it up.

• 9. Re: ORA-12514: TNS:listener
                          Bob MacDonald

I am able to connect as someone/password and as sysdba as you suggested

In sqldeveloper the string looks like this someone@//localhost:1521/xe

I have tried to create separate connections but the answer is always 12505 - unknown SID

• 10. Re: ORA-12514: TNS:listener
                            AndrewSayer

Bob MacDonald wrote:

I am able to connect as someone/password and as sysdba as you suggested

In sqldeveloper the string looks like this someone@//localhost:1521/xe

I have tried to create separate connections but the answer is always 12505 - unknown SID

You need to show us EXACTLY what you tried in sqlplus. A screenshot of your attempt in sqldeveloper would help.

If you are using @xe in sqlplus then the output of

tnsping xe

would be good.

• 11. Re: ORA-12514: TNS:listener
                              Bob MacDonald

I have a second instance on a separate machine and the tns and listener files are identical yet it works fine

• 12. Re: ORA-12514: TNS:listener
                                AndrewSayer

Bob MacDonald wrote:

I have a second instance on a separate machine and the tns and listener files are identical yet it works fine

You're not using tnsnames in sqldeveloper, you've chosen to use an EZConnect string instead (which BTW must be enabled by your sqlnet.ora file)

What might look identical to you, might not be. We have no idea.

But I don't think we really need to venture to this comparison.

• 13. Re: ORA-12514: TNS:listener
                                  Bob MacDonald

continuing to search ...

sqlnet.ora is

# This file is actually generated by netca. But if customers choose to

# install "Software Only", this file wont exist and without the native

# authentication, they will not be able to connect to the database on NT.

SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES = (NTS)

in both instances

thanks

• 14. Re: ORA-12514: TNS:listener
                                    Bob MacDonald

I tried @xe in sqlplus and it failed on the 12514 error

so my current presenting problem is that I cannot connect via sqlplus or through my main app.

thanks for helping me get this far

how do I change sql developer to avoid the EZconnect?

Bob

1 2 3 Previous Next