14 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2017 12:38 AM by GermanA-Oracle

How to change header brand name

Hi,

I tried changing header name from "Business Intelligence" to custom message but in vain.

Below are the steps that I followed based on the below mentioned link:

OBIEE 12c - How to change portal header brand name (next to Oracle Logo)

Steps:

1. Created customMessages in ORACLE_HOME/user_projects/domains/bi/bidata/components/OBIPS

2. Added customMessages.xml file

3. Restarted the services.

Even after restart, header name reads Business Intelligence.

My customMessages.xml file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<WebMessageTables xmlns:sawm="com.siebel.analytics.web/message/v1">

<WebMessageTable protect="true" export="true" translate="false" system="Custom Messages" table="Messages">

<WebMessage name="kmsgHeaderBIBrandName">

<TEXT><custommessage></TEXT>

</WebMessage>

</WebMessageTable>

</WebMessageTables>

OBIEE version used: 12.2.1.1.0

Please let me know if there is any other minor step that I'm missing.

• 1. Re: How to change header brand name
          Christian Berg

If you HAVE done what you are saying then you should have the custom message displayed.

Just did it in one of my VMs and works on first shot. Just make sure you're not actually putting <custommessage> inside the <TEXT>...

• 2. Re: How to change header brand name

Hi Christian,

Thanks for the reply.

I placed actual text that I would like to see in my original customMessages.xml file.

For the sake of example, I placed <custommessage> here.

I tried the same steps in OBIEE version 12.2.1.2 as well but it still shows Business Intelligence instead of custommessage entry.

• 3. Re: How to change header brand name
              Gianni Ceresa

If you places "<custommessage>" in the file the issue is that it's parsed as an XML tag, so you must try to avoid anything having special chars from a XML point of view (at least for debugging).

• 4. Re: How to change header brand name
                Syed Hamd Salman

Try following:

>> Open your customMessages.xml file in Internet explorer to verify if XML files with contents opens up in browser or not, if it doesn't then you would need to check where exactly your XML is it breaking.

>> Clear browser cache,cookie and then again open the analytics to verify the changes, if this also doesn't give desired result then copy and place your customMessages.xml file at blow location as well

/user_projects/domains/bi/bidata/service_instances/ssi/metadata/content/msgdb/l_en/customMessages

• 5. Re: How to change header brand name

In obiee 12c go to /<ORACLE_HOME>/bi/bifoundation/web/msgdb/<language used>/productmessages.xml

and change text as below

In 11g please find productmessages.xml

• 6. Re: How to change header brand name
                    Gianni Ceresa

3365160 wrote:

In obiee 12c go to /<ORACLE_HOME>/bi/bifoundation/web/msgdb/<language used>/productmessages.xml

and change text as below

Apparently you do not took the time to read the first line of that file there in Cote d'Ivoire ...

DO NOT MODIFY THIS FILE. THIS FILE IS AUTOMATICALLY GENERATED AND IS REPLACED UPON UPGRADE OR REINSTALL.

So next patch, update, upgrade you lose your changes. Of course if you like to redo your work again and again it's a personal approach ....

• 7. Re: How to change header brand name

I checked this right now.

Added test.xml (see xml content below) to  folder <FMW Home>/user_projects/domains/bi/bidata/components/OBIPS/custommessages and it worked. Even though the name of XML is not "custommessages.xml". Just that the xml file is located in "custommessages" folder under <FMW Home>/user_projects/domains/bi/bidata/components/OBIPS    was enough to change the header name. After the xml was added, I reloaded the "Files and Metadata" from OBIEE Administration screen,cleared browser cache and then I could see the change.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<WebMessageTables xmlns:sawm="com.siebel.analytics.web/message/v1">

<WebMessageTable system="Custom Messages" table="Messages">

<WebMessage name="kmsgHeaderBIBrandName"><TEXT>My Product Name</TEXT></WebMessage>

</WebMessageTable>

</WebMessageTables>

• 8. Re: How to change header brand name
                        Christian Berg

Custom files belong into a custom deployment and not into the core domain itself.

• 9. Re: How to change header brand name

Thanks Christian for correcting me.

However, I have some confusion here.

OBIEE 12c Administration guide (https://docs.oracle.com/middleware/12211/biee/BIESG/BIESG.pdf ) asks customization content to be added to SDD. For example:

1. On page 206 heading "Understanding the Directory Structure for Localizing Presentation Services" states that files that control elements in the user interface and messages should be copied to "SDD/ service_instances/service1/metadata/content/msgdb/l_xx" for localization.

2. On page 206 heading "Localizing Messages for Users' Preferred Currency" it asks to add a file "usercurrencymessages.xml" into "SDD/service_instances/service1/metadata/content/msgdb/l_xx" folder to localize currency messages.

3. On page 321 heading "Example: Process for Configuring Write Back" it asks to store the write back template file into "SDD/components/OBIPS/custommessages" folder.

My understanding is that all the folders in the three points above are core domain folders and all the changes suggested above are customization.

Can you please throw some light on this and correct my understanding on what folders are core domain and which customization should go to core domain and which should not?

Also the post OBIEE 12c - How to change portal header brand name (next to Oracle Logo) asks to store customMessage.xml into /…/ORACLE_HOME/user_projects/domains/bi/bidata/components/OBIPS/customMessages  folder.

• 10. Re: How to change header brand name
                            Christian Berg

You can put it in there but personally I put everything that's "custom" as far outside the default paths as possible in order to ensure them being totally independent and encapsulated. Also it makes it a.lot easier to include them as artfacts in a deployment process.

• 11. Re: How to change header brand name

OK. Thanks.

So if I decide to put the custom messages in a folder outside the default paths, then how do I tell OBIEE to look for those messages in that folder?

Should I deploy the folder on the bi_server and restart the server (just like old analyticsRes folder)? Or is there any configuration to be done so OBIEE knows to read the custom messages xml?

• 12. Re: How to change header brand name
                                Christian Berg

https://gianniceresa.com/2017/02/obiee-12c-custom-style-using-shared-folder/

The actual folder deployment is still preferable to a custom war

• 13. Re: How to change header brand name
                                  HussainAkbar

What am I missing?

I copy/pasted the customMessages.xml file from here to <FMW Home>/user_projects/domains/bi/bidata/components/OBIPS/customMessages directory and reloaded files & metadata. Didn't work. Reread it multiple times to check for errors. Used XML validator service. No change. Yes, I replaced <custommessage> with actual text.

Just to test, I made the change in /<ORACLE_HOME>/bi/bifoundation/web/msgdb/<language used>/productmessages.xml. That does work.

I am using OBIEE 12.2.1.3.0 on Linux. Do I need to put it into maintenance mode? I don't think so as I also tried restarting the server.

One question though, in /<ORACLE_HOME>/bi/bifoundation/web/msgdb/<language used>/productmessages.xml  the <WebMessageTable> tag uses different system and table attribute values. I tried those also.

• 14. Re: How to change header brand name
                                    GermanA-Oracle

Change the folder name from customMessages to custommessages (all lowercase), restart the presentation server component and test. See OBIEE 12c: How To Customize Messages On The Analytics Interface (Doc ID 2207038.1).