3 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2017 4:26 PM by User12629916-Oracle

How to monitor ORDS JDBC connections ?

User12629916-Oracle

Hello,

First post

I have ORDS 3.0.6 deployed on WebLogic Server 12.2.1 and am getting the dreaded "Exception while getting connection: oracle.ucp.UniversalConnectionPoolException: All connections in the universal Connection Pool are in use "

My current JDBC settings (that deviate from the default) in the defaults.xml are :

jdbc.InitialLimit=50

jdbc.MaxLimit=150

jdbc.MinLimit=50

I can increase it again but the DBA says there no more than 30 active sessions on the DB side.

I am having trouble finding how to capture diagnostic info for ORDS related to the JDBC settings mentioned above. If the settings were 'standard' JDBC data sources, I could monitor them from the WebLogic Console or WLST and could see how the number of connections grow (and possibly not being released and give me a pointer to the cause).

However since the JDBC connection info is stored in a flat file on the filesystem and accessed by ORDS, I am a bit stuck on how to monitor/debug this. I've also set the <entry key="debug.debugger">true</entry> but that doesn't appear to show anything that is useful.

So I would like some help in how to monitor the JDBC connections from ORDS within WebLogic to the Oracle DB ? Has anyone done this before - is there a JMX/WLST way perhaps interrogating an MBean ?

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: How to monitor ORDS JDBC connections ?
          User12629916-Oracle

2nd Try:

Anyone know how to monitor/debug/log the diagnostic data related to the settings in defaults.xml for ORDS 3.0.6 deployed within WebLogic - in particular the JDBC connections ?

Thanks

• 2. Re: How to monitor ORDS JDBC connections ?
            Kiran Pawar

Hi,

User12629916-Oracle wrote:

Please change your user handle from "User12629916-Oracle" to something meaningful. Refer : Video tutorial how to change nickname available

I have ORDS 3.0.6 deployed on WebLogic Server 12.2.1 and am getting the dreaded "Exception while getting connection: oracle.ucp.UniversalConnectionPoolException: All connections in the universal Connection Pool are in use "

My current JDBC settings (that deviate from the default) in the defaults.xml are :

jdbc.InitialLimit=50

jdbc.MaxLimit=150

jdbc.MinLimit=50

I can increase it again but the DBA says there no more than 30 active sessions on the DB side.

I am having trouble finding how to capture diagnostic info for ORDS related to the JDBC settings mentioned above. If the settings were 'standard' JDBC data sources, I could monitor them from the WebLogic Console or WLST and could see how the number of connections grow (and possibly not being released and give me a pointer to the cause).

However since the JDBC connection info is stored in a flat file on the filesystem and accessed by ORDS, I am a bit stuck on how to monitor/debug this. I've also set the <entry key="debug.debugger">true</entry> but that doesn't appear to show anything that is useful.

So I would like some help in how to monitor the JDBC connections from ORDS within WebLogic to the Oracle DB ? Has anyone done this before - is there a JMX/WLST way perhaps interrogating an MBean ?

Thanks in advance

For enabling logging you have specify log location for ORDS or you can print the debug to screen:

<entry key="debug.debugger">true</entry>

<entry key="debug.printDebugToScreen">true</entry>

The second entry enables printing debug to screen.

Refer :

For monitoring JDBC Connections in Oracle WebLogic you can refer following:

Regarding the Connection Pooling error for ORDS you can refer:

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Kiran

• 3. Re: How to monitor ORDS JDBC connections ?
              User12629916-Oracle

Hi Kiran,

Thanks for the reply.

I had seen most of those docs and have already acted upon them but with no luck - things like the debug.debugger and printDebugToScreen set to true but I don't see anything in the weblogic managed server logs.

The WebLogic JDBC connection pools don't seem to apply to this case as there are no data sources created - the only source of config is the defaults.xml file with the jdbc parameters but that doesn't map to a datasource that I can monitor through WLST or the WebLogic Admin Console. The puzzling thing is that the error message implies that there is a UCP connection pool in use somewhere (and perhaps by inference a datasource) but its not visible and doesn't want to come out and play:)

I'm sure other people would have come across this request. I'd like to see/monitor the jdbc connections growing and/or shrinking as requests to ORDS come in through WebLogic but so far have hit a brick wall. The ORDS app feels like a black box that I can't inspect. I'm beginning to wonder whether I'm approaching this the wrong way - should I be looking at it from the DB side rather than WebLogic

I'd like to ask - have you managed to do this yourself or know of anyone who has? If so, I'd be very interested.