9 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2017 9:12 PM by Franco Soldera

Linux Mint - HIDPI screen not supported?

Franco Soldera

On the same machine SQL Developer under windows looks perfect. This is a creenshot of SQL Developer in Linux Mint 18 (Cinnamon):

• 2. Re: Linux Mint - HIDPI screen not supported?
          Franco Soldera

Hi Gary Graham-Oracle, I actually spent hours googling yesterday and I didn't find the last two links you posted, thanks!

I added the line "AddVMOption -Dsun.java2d.uiScale=2" in product.conf file and jdk.conf but it didn't have any effect.

I tried also to manually set the dpi/screen size manually but again no luck.

I have only two (Java) applications that mess up with the hidpi screen: SQLDeveloper and CrashPlan. Other programs like for example SmartGit (also Java) manage the screen resolution perfectly.

• 3. Re: Linux Mint - HIDPI screen not supported?
            Gary Graham-Oracle

I added the line "AddVMOption -Dsun.java2d.uiScale=2" in product.conf file and jdk.conf but it didn't have any effect.

Because of the relative pathing in the IncludeConfFile statements, you have to take care where you put such AddVMOptions statements. For example...

1. The product.conf file is only used to determine which java installation SQL Developer will use, and its memory settings.

2. There are two jdk.conf files in a Windows SQL Developer installation. Probably Linux is the same (forgive me for not verifying that just now!).

a)   If you updated the sqldeveloper/sqldeveloper/bin/jdk.conf, that would be the wrong one!

b)   You must update either sqldeveloper/ide/bin/jdk.conf (included in sqldeveloper/sqldeveloper/bin/sqldeveloper.conf via sqldeveloper/ide/bin/ide.conf)

c)   Or simpler would be to just update sqldeveloper/sqldeveloper/bin/sqldeveloper.conf directly.

Best regards,

Gary Graham

SQL Developer Team

• 4. Re: Linux Mint - HIDPI screen not supported?
              Franco Soldera

Thank you for you patience Gary Graham-Oracle but unfortunately nothing of what you suggested works... I also tried alternatives to Cinnamon and different Linux systems (event tried to run the Windows version under Wine), but the result is always the same. Other Java programs run without issues on all the different desktops, SQL Developer doesn't.

Is there a bug open against this issue?

• 5. Re: Linux Mint - HIDPI screen not supported?
                thatJeffSmith-Oracle

Are you running Oracle Java or OpenJDK? We don't support the latter.

There's no bug logged for this behavior.

• 6. Re: Linux Mint - HIDPI screen not supported?
                  Gary Graham-Oracle

As Jeff notes, no bug logged.

Regarding OpenJDK, I do see this... http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/263

but have no idea if the comments regarding GTK+3 are relevant, what level of GTK+ SQL Developer might use, or if known issues with GTK Look And Feel in the JDeveloper / SQL Developer IDEs would preclude trying that as a workaround. 

• 7. Re: Linux Mint - HIDPI screen not supported?
                    Franco Soldera

thatJeffSmith-Oracle I am running Oracle Java.

I don't understand why it is not considered a bug, as all the other Java programs I am running on the same laptop have no issues.

What does it take to be considered a bug? I am genuinely asking as I would like to be able to install a Linux system on my laptop with a configuration that works also for SQL Developer. For all the other programs that I installed so far I have plenty of choice, for SQL Developer I have not choice other then run it on Windows.

• 8. Re: Linux Mint - HIDPI screen not supported?

nothing of what you suggested works... I also tried alternatives to Cinnamon and different Linux systems (event tried to run the Windows version under Wine), but the result is always the same.

Try to understand that statements like the above are of NO VALUE at all in trying to understand the issue.

'nothing of what you suggested works' - Gary was very explicit about what try.

So SHOW use steps 1, 2 and 3 below for EVERY one of Gary's suggestions that you actually tried.

'I also tried alternatives' - ok - show SHOW us steps 1,2 and 3 for EVERY one of them - one by one

We can NOT see your machine. You need to be explicit in SHOWING US:

1. WHAT you do

2. HOW you do it

3. WHAT results you get

I don't understand why it is not considered a bug, as all the other Java programs I am running on the same laptop have no issues.

That is NOT what was said. PLEASE read more carefully.

You asked if a bug had been logged and the response was NO. How does that suggest it isn't considered a bug?

What does it take to be considered a bug?

Excellent question? Here are the steps

1. submit a bug report to Oracle via your MOS account - you do NOT submit bugs via the forum

2. provide ALL of the particulars needed to try to reproduce the problem - that includes the full names and versions of everything in the environment (OS, Java, Sql Developer)

3. provide EXPLICIT info (see #1, 2 and 3 above) about what YOU have tried, how you tried it and what results you got.  One thing that often causes/masks issues is when there are MULTIPLE versions of the same product (even sql dev) on the machine. It is important to ENSURE that each test is done in a SQUEAKY CLEAN environment so there is no cross-contamination between tests.

Oracle will then evaluate your submission. Consideration is given to whether ALL of the components you are using are supported by Oracle, whether the combination of components is supported, whether a similar problem/issue has been reported in the past, etc.

I am genuinely asking as I would like to be able to install a Linux system on my laptop with a configuration that works also for SQL Developer.

Have you tried any of the many other versions of Linux available?

In particular have you tried Oracle Enterprise LInus?

Have you tried using VirtualBox and the Oracle VM downloads that are freely available? Many users find it much easier to standardize by using VirtualBox so the apps they are interested in can run in a standard environment regardless of the machine/OS they are on.

• 9. Re: Linux Mint - HIDPI screen not supported?
                        Franco Soldera

rp0428 Please understand that I am not trying to upset any of the fantastic contributors of this community, neither to waste their valuable time (and my time as well). I say this as I see a lot of shouting in your writing, and I don't think my tone was polemic or I was critizing anybody. I do read properly every single word that people write trying to help me, and I appreciate the time and effort of Gary Graham-Oracle

When I say that I tried every single suggestion given, I mean it, is not something just I say to please Gary. I can't possibly submit all the screenshot of every single step for each distribution tried. I just did exactly what it was specified in the proposed workaround. No error returned, just the DPI setting ignored.

I know you cannot see my machine, I also showed a screenshot of another Java program (SmartGit) compared with SQL Developer. It didn't need any effort to make it work, I installed it and it worked out of the box. So why shouldn't be considered a bug a product that requires a lot of (unsuccessful) tweaking after the installation on a modern laptop (HiDPI is not something new)?

I don’t have a MOS account, I work as freelance and my current customer has a support agreement with a third party, so the submission of the bug could take some time.

Here is a screenshot of all the distribution and SQL Developer versions I have tried so far (plus Mint 18.1 Cinnamon, Mint 18.1 Gnome, Mint LMDE2 Cinnamon):

For each of them I have followed these steps that can be reproduced:

1. Installed on the laptop's SSD in a clean partition (squeaky clean test environment)

2. Updated to the last patches

3. Installed SQL Developer in any possible way (with/no JDK, RPM, RPM converted to DEB, no installer just copy and fired up, Windows version with Wine - which doesn't work at all)

4. Installed SmartGit as reference, to check if it was working properly in the given configuration

5. Applied every single suggestions/tweaks I got so far from Gary

In every installation the result was:

SmartGit picks always up the right DPI setting

SQL Developer never picks up the right DPI setting (see comparing screenshot, it is precisely the same for all the above tests).

I didn't try Oracle Enterprise Linux (does it support HiDPI screens?), so far I have been focused on the common Linux clients. I am downloading it right now and I will try it soon.

Yes, I can make it work with Virtualbox (which by the way works perfectly on HiDPI screen), but that was not my point. I just tried to be helpful and make Oracle aware of the issue, that's all.

I understand that this not enough information to submit a bug, and I accept it.

I do believe that I am not the only one in the world with a laptop with HiDPI screen, so I will just wait that somebody else with a valid support number will submit the case