5 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2017 8:23 AM by fac586

Specify region to be processed for Automatic Row Processing

Jian-cdo

Hello,

I find when there are two regions on the same page and when I call Automatic Row Processing by clicking the button, it will try to process both region while I only want it process the first region (Report Details instead of the tabular form in the second region).  Can I define that?  Or I have to call customized pl/sql code for updating?  Thanks.

• 1. Re: Specify region to be processed for Automatic Row Processing
          PMON

You should be able to just put a condition on your ARP process to execute only on click of a certain button or whatever other condition you want.

• 2. Re: Specify region to be processed for Automatic Row Processing
            Jian-cdo

That's why I'm confused.  The save button belongs to first region only, but it complains the field in region 2 during the processing:

• 3. Re: Specify region to be processed for Automatic Row Processing
              fac586

Jian-cdo wrote:

That's why I'm confused. The save button belongs to first region only, but it complains the field in region 2 during the processing:

What does "it complains the field in region 2 during the processing" mean? Are you referring to validation errors? Note that in partial page processing scenarios, conditions must also be applied to validations.

Please do not post screenshots unless they are required to illustrate rendering or layout issues that cannot be reproduced in an example on apex.oracle.com. Such images invariable convey incomplete information, are inaccessible to the visually impaired, waste bandwidth for those using mobile devices, and any relevant code therein cannot be copied in order to reproduce the problem. Either recreate the issue in an example on apex.oracle.com, or provide a suitably detailed description that will enable others to do so.

• 4. Re: Specify region to be processed for Automatic Row Processing
                Jian-cdo

They are the validations for the second region.  Now it works after deleting these validations thought I still don't get why processing the button in the first region will also evaluate the second region's validations.

Meanwhile, I may not agree with your comments on posting screenshots.  For most junior user including me, it's not easy to always give suitably detailed description on the issue.  It's not always easy either to create example on apex.oracle.com since the schema in real world can be wildly complicated( out of developer's control) and hard to replicated.  Forum itself is to help all users with different skill levels to solve issues, build better application.  Attaching screenshots is a faster/efficient way (of course, as user I will do my best to make screenshot's size smaller or have lower resolution) to help everybody understand the issue and offer the help.  And I will wait patiently for other people's help when mobile users can't view the screenshot and provide solution in a timely manner.

• 5. Re: Specify region to be processed for Automatic Row Processing
                  fac586

Jian-cdo wrote:

They are the validations for the second region. Now it works after deleting these validations thought I still don't get why processing the button in the first region will also evaluate the second region's validations.

Regions are a structural and layout convenience for the benefit of developers and users, not a unit of processing understood by the server. APEX renders application data and controls by generating HTML pages. The unit of data submission in HTML is the form element. A standard APEX page contains only one form element (you can see this by running your page in the browser and using View page source). When a button performing a submit action is clicked, the entire form is POSTed to the server. Values for all of the form controls are included, irrespective of which region contained the button or controls.

Page accept processing is similarly unaware of the existence of regions*. Where partial or conditional processing is required, it is therefore the responsibility of the developer to apply the relevant logic to computations, validations, processes and branches. This is typically implemented using When Button Pressed or REQUEST-based conditions.

* Multi-row ARPs are an exception to this, but their association with regions has no link to region buttons unless that is explicitly defined by the developer.