4 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2017 6:50 AM by Beauty_and_dBest

Increasing soft nofile

Beauty_and_dBest

Hi ALL,

EBS R12.1.3

OL5

We still encounter user limit issue during peak day (month-end), which prevents users from login to the server.

I do not know which limit.conf parameter is lacking?

Currently the value of limits.conf are

* hard nofile 65535

* soft nofile 4096

* hard nproc 131072

* soft nproc 131072

I see that "soft nofile" is only 4096 ,  is it okay to increase it to 65535?

But I heard some people that say:

It is not recommended to set the "hard" limit for nofile for the oracle user equal to /proc/sys/fs/file-max.

If you do that and the user uses up all the file handles, the entire system will run out of the file handles.

This may prevent users logging in as the system cannot open PAM modules that are required for the

login process. That is why the hard limit should be set to 63536 and not 65536.

Is the above true?

Please help...

Kind regards,

jc

• 1. Re: Increasing soft nofile
          mdtaylor

Hi jc,

i set my soft nofile to 65535 or 65536 and in the 17 years I have worked with Oracle on Linux have never seen the condition you are referencing here.

Regards,

Michael

• 2. Re: Increasing soft nofile
            Beauty_and_dBest

Thanks Michael,

Actually it was the Linux sysadmin talking

He does not believe me recommending to increase soft nofile 4096 > to 65535

Well, honestly I do not know also what this parameter do. I just believe tuning to be trial-n-error?

Anyways I will tell the management to increase it by hook or by crook

Kind regards,

• 3. Re: Increasing soft nofile
              mdtaylor

Hi jc,

If the Linux admin had followed the Database quick reference, they would have fs.file-max set to 6815744, which is plenty to have a soft nofile of 65536.

Oracle Database (RDBMS) on Unix AIX,HP-UX,Linux,Mac OS X,Solaris,Tru64 Unix Operating Systems Installation and Configuration Requirements Quick Reference (8.0.5 to 11.2) (Doc ID 169706.1)

The same setting is required for 12c database as well:

Oracle Database (RDBMS) on Unix AIX,HP-UX,Linux,Solaris and MS Windows Operating Systems Installation and Configuration Requirements Quick Reference (12.1/12.2) (Doc ID 1587357.1)

Regards,

Michael

• 4. Re: Increasing soft nofile
                Beauty_and_dBest

Thanks Michael,

So aside from recommending > to increase soft nofile 4096 > to 65535

I will also recommend to increase > fs.file-max set to 6815744?

Is it supported in OL5?

Kind regards,