11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2017 12:51 PM by Christian Berg

Visual Analyzer data set usage

Mark.Thompson

In Visual Analyzer, we can use the data mashup feature to create data sets.  Are there any plans for making those data sets available to OBIEE Analyses or BI Publisher reports?

• 1. Re: Visual Analyzer data set usage
          Mark.Thompson

Ping.  As far as I know, it is not possible (currently) to use the data mashup datasets from Visual Analyzer anywhere else (e.g. Answers, BI Publisher).  Is that correct?  And is anyone aware of any plans to create that type of interactivity between the different portions of the OBIEE product suite?

• 2. Re: Visual Analyzer data set usage
            Christian Berg

Hi Mark,

You can use any XSA in Answers already now:

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Visual Analyzer data set usage
              Mark.Thompson

Christian, I hate to appear to be dense, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to do what you are showing me.  I'm working in OBIEE 12.2.1.2.0.

My goal is to use VA to create a mashup dataset using columns from an OBIEE subject area plus related information from an Excel spreadsheet.  I can create that dataset as part of a project.  But how do I make that dataset available to Answers?  After I create the project/dataset and select New...Analysis, I don't see anything similar to the bottom of your screenshot.  I must be missing a step.

• 4. Re: Visual Analyzer data set usage
                Gianni Ceresa

Hi Mark,

Right now you can't do that the way you expect it ...

As Christian said (and with a screenshot) XLS sources in Visual Analyzer (VA) are also accessible in Answers.

But that's it ...

Other sources, created dataset by mixing a subject area and an Excel etc., will not be visible on the Answers side.

So it's partially available (excel only) which is better than nothing.

• 5. Re: Visual Analyzer data set usage
                  Mark.Thompson

Thank you, Gianni.  I understand more clearly now.

I have now uploaded an Excel file called strategy327 for use in a VA project.  Upon saving that project under My Folders, and after signing out / signing in to Analytics, I can see the strategy327 data source available for selection under New...Analysis.  I can also see it available for other users if I save it in a Shared Folder.  So, everything is going well.

Now I would like to delete that data source, or perhaps set permissions regarding who can use it.  But where is that data source saved?  Is it in the web catalog?  If it is, I cannot see it, and a web catalog search doesn't reveal it.  When using OBIEE Analytics in the web browser, it is selectable as a psuedo Subject Area, but it is otherwise invisible.  I tried deleting its VA project, but that didn't make the dataset disappear.  I even opened Catalog Manager to try to find it there - no luck.

Next, I tried a complete search of the contents of every file in the entire middleware directory, looking for the string strategy327.  It was not found.  Likewise, I searched for file names containing that string.  Still not found.

As a last resort, I searched the entire hard drive for file names or file contents containing the string strategy327.  Guess what?  No hits.

So... Where is that Excel-based dataset stored, and how do we get rid of it or set its permissions?

• 6. Re: Visual Analyzer data set usage
                    Mark.Thompson

Do you know if there are any thoughts of EVER making the blended mashup data sets available for use outside of VA?

• 7. Re: Visual Analyzer data set usage
                      Christian Berg

The joys of trying to get a good night of sleep....Gianni steals my thread ;-)

So what you are looking for actually WAS in 12c already. But it was an oversight of exposing a functionality that's probably "reserved for future use" and was very quickly removed again. Robin was quick enough to blog it: https://rmoff.net/2016/05/27/obiee-12c-add-data-source-in-answers/

• 8. Re: Visual Analyzer data set usage
                        Gianni Ceresa

You will never find an excel file with that filename on your disk (or better: on the server disk).

https://www.rittmanmead.com/blog/2016/06/obiee-12c-extended-subject-areas-xsa-data-set-service/

Robin again covered it in detail, your file is loaded and processed, so it changes name etc. as it will be part of the Data Set Service.

• 9. Re: Visual Analyzer data set usage
                          Christian Berg

Mark T. wrote:

So... Where is that Excel-based dataset stored, and how do we get rid of it or set its permissions?

XSA Data Service: https://www.rittmanmead.com/blog/2016/06/obiee-12c-extended-subject-areas-xsa-data-set-service/

• 10. Re: Visual Analyzer data set usage
                            Mark.Thompson

This has become a very interesting, and I hope very useful, thread for others to reference.

After reviewing the excellent information from Mark Rittman's team, it appears that the answer to my question is that we cannot use OBIEE to set permissions or to delete the uploaded Excel-based datasets, although we may be able to (very tediously) identify them on the server and delete them manually, albeit without knowing if a particular data set is used in a VA project or not.  Perhaps at some point in the future we might see these datasets managed through the OBIEE catalog (especially for permissions), but not at the present time.  Nor at the present time can we use them in any venue other than Visual Analyzer.  I believe this sums up the present status, and answers all of my current questions.

Christian and Gianni, THANK YOU.

• 11. Re: Visual Analyzer data set usage
                              Christian Berg

Yes exactly. It's definitely going to evolve and the mashup capabilities in the "other direction" will probably return.

For the time being you can also UNION together XSAs and Subject Areas.