3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2017 9:27 PM by Mike Kutz

File does not begin with '%PDF-'

mrdeguzm

I have reports using BI Publisher that get generated by passing parameters through Oracle ApEx. Recently we upgraded from BI Publisher 10 to 11. Now when we run these reports, we get an error  File does not begin with '%PDF-'. I followed the instructions provided from this link https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/pdf-error-1015-11001-update.html  but we continue to get the error message. Are there any other solutions to this error? Thank you.

• 1. Re: File does not begin with '%PDF-'
          Mike Kutz

mrdeguzm wrote:

I have reports using BI Publisher that get generated by passing parameters through Oracle ApEx. Recently we upgraded from BI Publisher 10 to 11. Now when we run these reports, we get an error File does not begin with '%PDF-'. I followed the instructions provided from this link https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/pdf-error-1015-11001-update.html but we continue to get the error message. Are there any other solutions to this error? Thank you.

The "%PDF-" characters are the "magic numbers" of a binary file that indicates that the file is actually a PDF.

99% of the time when this happens, what actually happens is this:

1. APEX tells your web browser:  Hey, I'm sending file "abcdefg.pdf" it has MIME Type "application/x-pdf"
          2. APEX runs into an error
          3. APEX sends an HTML page that describes the error

That is, your "PDF" file is actually 'HTML' that contains the error that describes "what went wrong"

To test:

1. Save the file and change the extension to ".html"
          2. Open the file in a web browser.

My guess: the ACL for the old BI Publisher server wasn't reconfigured to allow communications to the new BI Publisher.

Also, did you change the APEX Print Server configuration to match?

My $0.02

MK

• 2. Re: File does not begin with '%PDF-'
            mrdeguzm

Hi Mike.

Still no luck on my side.

How do you configure the APEX Print Server in v 4.0?

• 3. Re: File does not begin with '%PDF-'
              Mike Kutz

If you save the file, and change the extension to ".html"...

When you open up that file in a Web Browser...

What does it say?

Also, check the ORDS logs to see if "anything odd" happened.

MK