9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2017 9:46 AM by Murali9231

Cluster Verify giving strange behavior checking resolv.conf

tmhudg

I'm installing RAC (12.1.0.2) on RHEL 7.2 and running cluster verify (runcluvfy.sh) to check that everything is set up properly before installing.

I'm getting odd failures in the check of /etc/resolv.conf. (Note that I've done quite a bit of Googling on this and I do see lots of hits but none address the issue I'm seeing).

Here's the contents of my /etc/resolv.conf - same on both nodes.

search <mydomain>

nameserver x.x.x.x

nameserver x.x.x.y

Here's what I get in the section of cluvfy where it checks the integrity of resolv.conf

Checking the file "/etc/resolv.conf" to make sure only one of 'domain' and 'search' entries is defined

"domain" and "search" entries do not coexist in any "/etc/resolv.conf" file

Checking if 'domain' entry in file "/etc/resolv.conf" is consistent across the nodes...

"domain" entry does not exist in any "/etc/resolv.conf" file

Checking if 'search' entry in file "/etc/resolv.conf" is consistent across the nodes...

Checking file "/etc/resolv.conf" to make sure that only one 'search' entry is defined

More than one "search" entry does not exist in any "/etc/resolv.conf" file

All nodes have same "search" order defined in file "/etc/resolv.conf"

Checking DNS response time for an unreachable node

Node Name                             Status

------------------------------------  ------------------------

ora-ch589                             passed

ora-ch588                             passed

The DNS response time for an unreachable node is within acceptable limit on all nodes

Check for integrity of file "/etc/resolv.conf" failed

This doesn't make sense to me. It appears to not really find anything wrong with resolv.conf but it still fails the check.

What's even stranger still is if I actually add a domain entry to resolv.conf, it throws a warning about having both SEARCH and DOMAIN in the file but ends up passing the check anyway.

Here's the updated resolv.conf

search <mydomain>

domain <mydomain>

nameserver x.x.x.x

nameserver x.x.x.y

and here's the result of the integrity check

Checking integrity of file "/etc/resolv.conf" across nodes

Checking the file "/etc/resolv.conf" to make sure only one of 'domain' and 'search' entries is defined

WARNING:

PRVF-5640 : Both 'search' and 'domain' entries are present in file "/etc/resolv.conf" on the following nodes: ora-ch589,ora-ch588

Check for integrity of file "/etc/resolv.conf" passed

This confuses me. Everything I've read says I should only have *either* search or domain in resolv.conf but the only way I can get the integrity check to pass is to put them both in the file. Of course the Network Manager re-writes the file after every boot so getting them both to stick is another issue and I don't want to have to solve this pre-check that way.

I've seen a couple of posts saying to "just ignore the error". I can't really do that either because this is part of an automated build and I need to get a success status to continue on in the automated workflow.

Thanks for any insight into this issue.