4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2017 5:11 PM by Umbdae Arthur

SQL*Developer connect using SSO

Umbdae Arthur

I can use SQL*Plus to connect to a database with the command "sqlplus /@dbname".

How can I make connections like this in SQL*Developer?  I've not found the magic incantation to do so.

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: SQL*Developer connect using SSO
          Gary Graham-Oracle

In SQL Developer, you would create a connection of Connection Type: Local/Bequeath.  However, since a Connection Name may contain only alphanumeric characters, the at sign (@), the underscore (_) and the hyphen ( - ), you may have trouble creating the connection.  That depends on whether the OS user belongs to a group domain (which mean the name would require a backslash ( \ ) as a separator character between the domain and user names), and whether your Oracle DB's os_authent_prefix contains any unsupported characters (the default value is ops$).

The mechanics of creating the user is best found in Oracle documentation...

https://docs.oracle.com/database/121/SQLRF/statements_8003.htm#i2094003

• 2. Re: SQL*Developer connect using SSO
            Umbdae Arthur

Looking at all_users, my schema name does not have a prefix.  This site uses Active Directory as its credentials master, if that

makes a difference.

Also, a question: when I choose Local/Bequeath, there is no place to identify the instance to which I want to connect.  Clearly

I'm still missing something.

• 3. Re: SQL*Developer connect using SSO
              Gary Graham-Oracle

when I choose Local/Bequeath, there is no place to identify the instance to which I want to connect.

This is not my area, but the intent with a Local/Bequeath connection is to permit connection to a database running on the same server as your client, where the specific database is identified by environment variables (ORACLE_HOME, ORACLE_SID).  I should have known better than to suggest Local/Bequeath when I saw the "@dbname" in your "sqlplus /@dbname" example.

Since you mention MS Active Directory, which uses LDAP, you may want to investigate whether using Connection Type: LDAP will work for you.  LDAP support in SQL Developer was initiaily added for our Oracle Internet Directory product (now part of ODS), and occasionally reports appear in this forum that the LDAP connection type is not working with some other flavor LDAP product.

• 4. Re: SQL*Developer connect using SSO
                Umbdae Arthur

Issue SOLVED!

The problem was a lack of understanding on my part.  As noted, I was able to connect to a

database with the command sqlplus /@dbname.

I interpreted this to mean that I would not need to provide a userId and password to SQL*Developer

and spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to do this.

As it turned out, the key is to provide the network login and network password in the appropriate

connection controls and to set the Kerberos checkbox to true.  Once I did that, everything worked

as I expected.

Gary, thanks for your help and time on this.

Umbdae