Thanks Taylor for the prompt response. I have already checked both the metalink notes but none of them (or the suggestion to set an Xss) work in our case or environment.
Also setting JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS does not work as it results into a bus error as below:
$>rwclient.sh report=test.rdf server=rep_serv destype=file desformat=pdf desname=/tmp/test.pdf
Picked up JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS: -Xss2M
What is your OS and version?
Red Hat Enterprise 6 Linux x86-64.
Additional information, current kernel version is 2.6.32-696.6.3.el6.x86_64 and before OS Kernel Updates it was 2.6.32-642.6.2.el6.x86_64.
As for Doc ID 2280616.1, that was the one I was referring to but the released Kernel update from https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2017-1723.html is the version we're currently on after patching (2.6.32-696.6.3.el6.x86_64). Also for the Document: Doc ID 2285514.1, that was for Kernel kernel-2.6.32-696.3.2.el6.x86_64 which had the flawed StackGuard fix; we're currently on 2.6.32-696.6.3.el6.x86_64 which is supposed to have fixed that flaw so -Xss workaround is no longer required.
I can start up Java JVMs just fine (e.g. java -version), the main issue I've seen so far is with the rw* related binaries after latest RHEL 6 kernel.
What version of java are you running in the 10.1.2 home? Are you current on 10.1.2 patches?
Our application has a bundled version of jdk 1.7 that it uses. I've tried to manually compensate for that in our Development environments but it's still running into “Bus errors” for most of our executables. I can understand that the revised fix for the Java Stackguard vulnerability is having conflicts with a subset of Oracle e-Business Suite’s compiled binaries but wondering what would be the fix for that.
FYI, I have not seen any issues on our Database servers nor our related Development servers running WebLogic AS; I can start up Java JVMs just fine (e.g. java -version), the only issue I've seen so far is with the rw* related binaries so that's why I was wondering if anyone had reported a similar issue with Report Builder after updating to the latest RHEL 6 kernel.
OK. Pulling the latest RHEL 6 OS updates and will see what happens.
After upgrading to 2.6.32-696.6.3.el6.x86_64, the rwbuilder and rwrun commands function normally for me on RHEL 6 with latest updates from today using a 12.1.3 EBS.
Okay, what is the version of glibc in your environment after update?
In my case it's glibc-2.12-1.209.el6_9.2.i686 after the update.
Also would like to let you know that I've asked and our Linux admins had rolled back our Kernel version to 2.6.32-642.6.2.el6.x86_64 without rolling back any of the OS library packages & glibc(e.g. remaining on glibc-2.12-1.209.el6_9.2) and the reports executables are working fine now. So I'm very confident there's a conflict between the compiled Reports executables with the latest RHEL kernel.
Any idea or suggestion on this?
Here are the glibc, kernel and boot options. I also edited $ORACLE_HOME/bin/reports.sh commenting out TNS_ADMIN and NLS_LANG to get rwbuilder.sh to open correctly.
> uname -a
Linux host.domain 2.6.32-696.6.3.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Jun 30 13:24:18 EDT 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
# grub.conf generated by anaconda
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
# NOTICE: You have a /boot partition. This means that
# all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
# root (hd0,0)
# kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/sda2
# initrd /initrd-[generic-]version.img
title Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server (2.6.32-696.6.3.el6.x86_64)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.32-696.6.3.el6.x86_64 ro root=UUID=00dd02e0-a45d-4627-84d2-8129fe08cab4 elevator=noop ipv6.disable=1 crashkernel=128M transparent_hugepage=never SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 LANG=en_US.UTF-8 KEYTABLE=us
title Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server (2.6.32-696.3.1.el6.x86_64)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.32-696.3.1.el6.x86_64 ro root=UUID=00dd02e0-a45d-4627-84d2-8129fe08cab4 elevator=noop ipv6.disable=1 crashkernel=128M transparent_hugepage=never SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 LANG=en_US.UTF-8 KEYTABLE=us
title Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server (2.6.32-573.12.1.el6.x86_64)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.32-573.12.1.el6.x86_64 ro root=UUID=00dd02e0-a45d-4627-84d2-8129fe08cab4 elevator=noop ipv6.disable=1 crashkernel=128M transparent_hugepage=never SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 LANG=en_US.UTF-8 KEYTABLE=us
I was suspecting It's a bug with the Reports technology stack, then wondering how come it worked in your case.