8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2017 3:08 PM by 2676484

Upgrade OCA 11g to OCP 12c

Hi Experts,

I have obtained an OCA 11g few years ago, and now I am interested to proceed for OCP 12c.

For this, I have a few question in my mind that require your advise.

Please assist. Thanks.

1. Based on the certification path, I must complete one of the course below.

Previously I have completed the highlighted courses in 11g. Are they eligible for me to proceed with OCP 12c?

2. When I schedule the exam thought Pearsonvue, I don't see anything that verify if I do fulfill all the pre-requisites. (for e.g. the OCA 11g certification or the oracle courses which I have attended)

If this is the case, can I just go ahead and schedule the OCP 12c exam?

• 1. Re: Upgrade OCA 11g to OCP 12c
          jaramill
          1. OCA 11g what??
          2. What certification are you TRYING to get?
          3. What current certifications do you have?

I'm assuming you're a DBA but you didn't really mention it.

• 2. Re: Upgrade OCA 11g to OCP 12c

Hi Jaramil,

1. OCA 11g what??

------ Oracle Database 11g Administrator Certified Associate

------ Oracle database 11g administrator certified professional

3. What current certifications do you have?

-------1Z0-052 - Oracle Database 11g: Administration I (Oracle Database 11g Administrator Certified Associate)

-------1Z0-051 Oracle Database 11g: SQL Fundamentals I

Yes I am DBA.

• 3. Re: Upgrade OCA 11g to OCP 12c
              Matthew Morris

------ Oracle database 11g administrator certified professional

Presumably you mean 12c Administrator Certified Professional -- at least that's what the subject indicates.

You have two options.  You can upgrade from 11g OCA to 11g OCP and then to 12C OCP, or you can go directly from 11g OCA to 12c OCP.  The training and tests required between the two are different.

To upgrade to 11g OCP first, you need to attend Oracle approved training for the 11g or 12c OCP track.  You then have to submit proof of attendance to Oracle. You would then take tests 1Z0-053 and either of the following tests:

• Upgrade to Oracle Database 12c | 1Z0-060
              • Upgrade Oracle DBA 11g or 12c to 12c R2 | 1Z0-074

If you want to go directly to the 12c OCP, you need to attend Oracle approved training for the 12c OCP track.  You then have to submit proof of attendance to Oracle. You would then take the following test:

• Upgrade Oracle9i/10g/11g OCA to Oracle Database 12c OCP | 1Z0-067

The second course of action requires one less exam, obviously.  However, 067 is a bear of a test because it allows people to upgrade from as far back as the 9i OCA.  It therefore covers new features that were introduced in 10, 11 and 12.

• 4. Re: Upgrade OCA 11g to OCP 12c

Sorry for the typo. Yes I would like to get the 12c Administrator Certified Professional.

If I go ahead to schedule the OCP 12c examination without going for any 12c training, even I pass the examination, Oracle will not certified me?

• 5. Re: Upgrade OCA 11g to OCP 12c
                  Matthew Morris

If I go ahead to schedule the OCP 12c examination without going for any 12c training, even I pass the examination, Oracle will not certified me?

No -- they will not.  The training is required for the OCP-level credential.  You could pass the test first and then do the training.  However, the credential is not awarded until both requirements are met.

• 6. Re: Upgrade OCA 11g to OCP 12c

OK. That's what I need to know. Thanks for your answer.

• 7. Re: Upgrade OCA 11g to OCP 12c
                      Brandye Barrington-Oracle

You've received some great feedback from your peers. I'd also like to add that if cost is a concern, I think you'll come out better to take the 11g OCP exam and then upgrade.

If you take the 11g OCP, your 11g training will fulfill the training requirement. Then you'll take one of the the upgrade exams Matthew mentions above. This will cost you for 2 exams - less than $1000 USD.

If you go on to the 12c OCP exam, you'll have to complete 12c training. This will cost you training + an exam, which can be thousands of dollars.

Cost may not be an issue for you, but this is something to consider.

Regards,

Brandye Barrington

Oracle Certification Program

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Upgrade OCA 11g to OCP 12c

Thanks for your advise. I agree with you that I should proceed for 11g OCP first since I had fulfill the 11g OCP training requirement.