The things I would check first to track the source of network communication failure
- can you ping the VM's IP?
- can you ping the VM by its host name, in case hostname is used in your MySQL configuration in Oracle
- is the Tcp port visible ?
- you can try this using telnet <IP/hostname> 3306
- can you
On the VM it may be that
- MySQL is not listing to Tcp
- MySQL is listsinging to Tcp, but only on localhost
- access to port 3306 is blocked
Inside the VM you can check with the following command whether you can access mysql by Tcp rather than by some socket
mysql --protocol=TCP -u root -p
thanks for your response. I've tried just about everything you have suggested, and various permutations e.g. using sid, service name, ip address and host name. I will try your suggestion from the guest back to the host and post how I get on.