7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2017 7:08 PM by Christian Berg

List of Repository Variables

user9255588

Hello Everyone,

Is it possible to create a report in BI analytics to list all the repository variables ? If so Please let me know or shower some ideas on how to get a list of repository variables.

Thanks,

Ary

• 1. Re: List of Repository Variables
          Gianni Ceresa

Hi,

Have a look at OBIEE SampleApp , it has an analysis showing variables. Can't remember if it's session or repository variables (or both probably).

It uses the "issue SQL" page to call a NQS function returning the list of variables defined in the RPD.

So you can use that way of doing things.

Same thing is by calling the executeSQLQuery method of the XML View webservice, it's the same exact thing and you will execute the same exact query to get the XML back.

• 2. Re: List of Repository Variables
            Christian Berg

As Gianni said there's a script in the SampleApp which basically does this:

call NQSQueryMetadataObjects('3031',...)

Just search the VM for listRepVars.js and then call it from a text dashboard object like showcased in the "Admin Features" dashboard, "More Variables" page.

• 3. Re: List of Repository Variables
              user9255588

Thanks for the reply. I followed instructions as provided. I deployed listRepVars.js file and created text box in dashboard. When i run the dashboard all I see is the empty table structure for statics and repository variables without any content in it. Please help where i did mistake.

• 4. Re: List of Repository Variables
                user9255588

I am using below code in the text box.

<html>

<head>

<script src='/analyticsRes/CustomApp/customjs/listRepVars.js'></script>

<style>

table.ma_toc tr:hover td{

background-color: #DEEEFE;

}  </style>

</head>

<body>

<h3>Static Variables</h3>

<table id='staticVars' class='ma_toc' width="900px" cellpadding="2px" border="1px" bordercolor="#e2e2e2" style="border-collapse:collapse;font-family: Arial;font-size: 12px">

<tr style="background-color:#e1e1e1" align="left"><th><b>Name</b></th><th><b>Current Value</b></th></tr>

</table>

<br/>

<h3>Session Variables</h3>

<table id='sessionVars' class='ma_toc' width="900px" cellpadding="2px" border="1px" bordercolor="#e2e2e2" style="border-collapse:collapse;font-family: Arial;font-size: 12px;">

<tr style="background-color:#e1e1e1" align="left"><th><b>Name</b></th><th><b>Init Block</b></th><th width=110><b>Var Type</b></th><th><b>Current Value</b></th></tr>

</table>

<script>listRepVariables();</script>

</body>

</html>

• 5. Re: List of Repository Variables
                  Gianni Ceresa

Did you looked at what was written in SampleApp and looked how the code they had in their page and looked at the script itself?

The idea of the script is to use javascript to send a request to the "Issue SQL" page you find in "Administration". The query will be the "call NQS..." which return some XML (you can run it by hand there and see the result). The script will then parse the output to get the list of variables and finally display them.

So if you don't see anything start debugging.

It's javascript, which means you have lot of chances you have an issue there, open the developer toolbar of your browser and look at what happen. Is the JS loaded? Is the query sent to the "Issue SQL" page? Does this page return something? Is this "something" parsed into something else? etc.

Of course if you don't have the permission to open and use the "Issue SQL" page do not even try to use the script: it will not bypass any security, if you aren't allowed it will fail.

• 6. Re: List of Repository Variables
                    Gianni Ceresa

user9255588 wrote:

<script src='/analyticsRes/CustomApp/customjs/listRepVars.js'></script>

So I assume you deployed analyticsRes and there inside created a "CustomApp" folder with another folder inside named "customjs" and placed "listRepVars.js" there inside?

Do not copy things randomly but first look and try to understand what will happen and how things are supposed to work.

There isn't any simple out of the box way to list variables, it's a totally custom developed things. So you must understand the concept of how it will work (and why it will work) and then implement it based on your system.

• 7. Re: List of Repository Variables
                      Christian Berg

+1 to Gianni it's all about file placement. My custom JS are normally in /mydeployment/customJS right next to /mydeployment/customMessages

So the line would read   <script src='/mydeployment/customJS/listRepVars.js'></script>