2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2017 5:12 AM by D_Schneider

"Cannot determine a valid Java Home"

D_Schneider

I had to do an "emergency deploy" of JRE 8u144 32bit on our Windows 7 64bit installations. I used powershell with psexec to let every single PC install Java with the following switches: jre-8u144-windows-i586.exe INSTALL_SILENT=1 AUTO_UPDATE=0 REBOOT=0 SPONSORS=0 REMOVEOUTOFDATEJRES=1

Somehow quite some of the installations don't work. JRE seems to be installed correctly, but when a JavaWs application is started I get the error "Cannot determine a valid Java Home". What does that mean and how can I fix it without reinstalling JRE everywhere (which probably would break working installations on other PCs, as JRE deletes a working 8u144 installation when rolled out again)?

Any help would really be appreciated as this issue is driving me nuts...

• 1. Re: "Cannot determine a valid Java Home"
          handat

Did you reboot those windows machines after you installed the JRE? Most possibly, the JAVA_HOME environment variable was set, but until the system is rebooted, the previous value would be still set in memory and applications trying to run java will not find the new JRE at its new location since they will be looking in the old location.

• 2. Re: "Cannot determine a valid Java Home"
            D_Schneider

I tried that already, but to no avail. Even on working systems I can't find a JAVE_HOME user or system variable , where should it be? The only variable I can find is a PATH variable that's named 'C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath' - but this one can even be found on non-working systems.