5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2017 7:54 PM by jaramill

New equivalent of 1Z0-047 Oracle SQL Expert?

The Oracle SQL Expert 1Z0-047 certification is now retired by Oracle, the suggested exam is Oracle Database SQL 1Z0-071 but this is an associate level exam, is there an equivalent expert level certification for SQL currently? I'd like to present an expert exam, what do you recommend me to do? present the 071 exam and wait for either a professional or expert credential to appear or simply wait until such a credential appears? (it seems the associate tier will require 071 as a pre requisite to present any other exams as opposed to the previous SQL Expert exam which could be presented by itself) .

• 1. Re: New equivalent of 1Z0-047 Oracle SQL Expert?
          Matthew Morris

1Z0-071 is the closest thing that the Oracle certification program has to an equivalent of 1Z0-047.  It's been noted in an earlier thread by the forum moderator (our only direct link to the program's official word) that there is not currently a direct replacement (meaning an Expert exam) for 1Z0-047. The program has retired four of their 'Expert' credentials this year and will be retiring a fifth in October. None of these exams have replacement credentials at the Expert level. Based on this -- it is my opinion that the Oracle certification program may be phasing out the Expert credential entirely. Certainly I would not recommend that you do nothing to advance your Oracle career while you wait for an expert credential that may never get created.

• 2. Re: New equivalent of 1Z0-047 Oracle SQL Expert?

Thanks for your reply, I'll target 1Z0-047 in the near future, just out of curiosity, I see in your acclaim profile you have both certifications, what are the key differences between both if I may ask?

• 3. Re: New equivalent of 1Z0-047 Oracle SQL Expert?
              Matthew Morris

I assume you mean you'll take 1Z0-071 in the near future... 047 has been retired. 

I hold both certifications and I have also written study guides for the two exams under the Oracle Certification Prep series. The 1Z0-071 exam is a blending of three earlier exams, 1Z0-006, 1Z0-061, and 1Z0-047.  On the basis of topics from the source exams -- 071 has probably around 60% from 062, 30% from 047 and 10% from 006.  At one point I had the percentages nailed down tighter than that, but frankly I don't recall the specifics at the moment.

• 4. Re: New equivalent of 1Z0-047 Oracle SQL Expert?

That's right, my bad it's 071 I'll be targeting, what I wanted ask is how challenging 071 actually is when compared to the former 047 since the Acclaim badge description reads "Candidates have illustrated a depth of knowledge of SQL..." it seems its not a walk in the park either even though it is an associate exam.

• 5. Re: New equivalent of 1Z0-047 Oracle SQL Expert?
                  jaramill

3535673 wrote:

That's right, my bad it's 071 I'll be targeting, what I wanted ask is how challenging 071 actually is when compared to the former 047 since the Acclaim badge description reads "Candidates have illustrated a depth of knowledge of SQL..." it seems its not a walk in the park either even though it is an associate exam.

Not answering for Matthew but I have both the OCA-PL/SQL, and OCE-SQL and let me tell you the "expert" level exams are NO JOKE hard!

But after taking the "associate" level exam for PL/SQL, it is as you say..."NOT a walk in the park".