5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2017 12:59 PM by mdehaan

How to implement QuaggaJS in APEX application?

mdehaan

For a project I need to create an application that can be used on the factory-floor that has the ability to scan a barcode using the camera of a mobile device (tablet).

I have found various posts on how to use the device camera to make pictures and for the barcoding functionality I have found QuaggaJS.

My problem is that I really do not know how to implement QuaggaJS into an APEX-application.

Can anybody in this community help me?

Not sure what would be the best approach. Maybe a step-by-step instruction or and maybe even a working prototype on apex.oracle.com so we can see how we should accomplish that?

All help and suggestions are welcome!

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Marco

• 1. Re: How to implement QuaggaJS in APEX application?
          -Max-

Hello Marco

First thing I would check before investing too much time and effort is the types of bar codes you want/need to read.

Because as of now QuaggaJS only supports 1D bar codes. There's no support for 2D codes such as QR, PDF417, etc.

But if your requirements are to read "bar" codes, you should be fine.

Regards

Maxime

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to implement QuaggaJS in APEX application?
            mdehaan

Hi Maxime,

Thanks for your reply.

1D barcodes are fine for us.

Do you have experience with this functionality in APEX?

Are you able, and willing, to help us?

Regards,

Marco

• 3. Re: How to implement QuaggaJS in APEX application?
              -Max-

Hello Marco

First of all what browser are the users using?

Because the library is relying on some of the HTML5 Apis

From QuaggaJs' github:

Quagga makes use of many modern Web-APIs which are not implemented by all browsers yet. There are two modes in which Quagga operates: 1. analyzing static images and 2. using a camera to decode the images from a live-stream. The latter requires the presence of the MediaDevices API. You can track the compatibility of the used Web-APIs for each mode:

You might want to have a look at their readme and their examples

https://github.com/serratus/quaggaJS

It should help you understand how it's working and how to implement it.

Maxime

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How to implement QuaggaJS in APEX application?

Hello Max,

I also need to build an application who uses a bar code scanner using the camera.

I check all the requirements from the readme file and i would know what is the next step to deploy QuaggaJs in my Apex app.

• 5. Re: How to implement QuaggaJS in APEX application?
                  mdehaan

Hi Maxime,

Thanks for your response!

I did take look at the readme and the examples as you suggested.

Although I'm not exactly a newbie in APEX-development, I really do not have a clue on howto proceed.

The examples look great and I would love to see either one of them working in APEX, but I also do not have any experience in how to get an application from Github and get that to work.

Is there anyone out there who can help us or bring us up to speed?

Regards,

Marco