9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2017 5:20 PM by Gianni Ceresa

Export List of OBIEE Catalog Items

Dennis Hancy

I have a number of dashboard pages, analyses, and prompts in my catalog.

I am now at a point where I want to document all the work we've done.  As a starting point, I  want to produce a list of all these items.  So far, I have only been able to retype all these object names into my documentation.  This is quite time consuming and error-prone.

Is there a way within OBIEE to export this list to something like Word, Excel, or even Notepad.  I keep thinking there must be an automated way to do this, without having to re-key everything.  So far, I haven't found anything.

Can anyone provide some advice on how to do this?  Thanks!

Dennis

• 1. Re: Export List of OBIEE Catalog Items
          Gianni Ceresa

Catalog Manager can help you. It allows you to make a report with some of these infos inside and get them in an Excel file. You can also do the same thing by webservices etc., but if you just one a list of the content of your catalog for documentation it's just easier with Catalog Manager.

• 2. Re: Export List of OBIEE Catalog Items
            Dennis Hancy

Thanks.

Do you know how I can install Catalog Manager?  I had it on my old laptop, but don't seem to have it now.  I thought it came with the BI Admin tool, which I do have, but after a quick search, I haven't found it.

• 3. Re: Export List of OBIEE Catalog Items
              Gianni Ceresa

It definitely come with the Admin tool, you can't choose what you install, the Admin tool gives you the Catalog Manager in the same time.

If you post the details of the version you are talking about it will be helpful ...

• 4. Re: Export List of OBIEE Catalog Items
                Dennis Hancy

The version number of the BI Admin Tool I have is 11.1.1.9.0.

thanks!

• 5. Re: Export List of OBIEE Catalog Items
                  Gianni Ceresa

If you installed the Admin tool the catalog manager is definitely there as said (or you didn't install the Admin tool correctly), you are maybe just missing the shortcut...

To run Catalog Manager you need a shortcut with target = <path where you installed the Admin tool>\jre\bin\javaw.exe -DnoJNI=true -jar startup.jar

and start in = <path where you installed the Admin tool>/oraclebi/orahome/bifoundation/web/catalogmanager

Being a java thing you really need to set the "start in" path correctly or things will be missing.

• 6. Re: Export List of OBIEE Catalog Items
                    Dennis Hancy

Thanks!

I created a shortcut with these properties:

====

Target: "C:\Program Files\Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition Plus Client Tools\jre\bin\javaw.exe" -DnoJNI=true -jar startup.jar

Start in: "C:\Program Files\Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition Plus Client Tools\oraclebi\orahome\bifoundation\web\catalogmanager"

====

When I double-click on the shortcut, nothing seems to happen.

I tried to troubleshoot:

- I added an = sign after -jar, but it gave me an error about starting Java Virtual Machine

- I added a \ at the end of the Start In string, but there was no difference.

I also confirmed that I have startup.jar in the Start In path.

Is there another property of the shortcut I need to change?

Dennis

• 7. Re: Export List of OBIEE Catalog Items
                      Gianni Ceresa

Not really, that's what the installer create ...

I guess I remember I had issues in the past with spaces in the install path of the Admin tool, just can't remember when/what version and so by default I avoid spaces (using things like c:\Oracle\OBIEE_11.1.1.9 etc. so I keep all the various versions one next to each other).

And I guess it doesn't change but in the "start in" path I didn't wrote / by mistake instead of \ , the installer create the shortcut with / , even if I guess it doesn't change a lot ....

Does the Admintool works well on your environment? Does the job manager works? What's the OS of your environment? (the client)

And special rule? (corporate system with super strong security or free to install things and run what you want?)

• 8. Re: Export List of OBIEE Catalog Items
                        Dennis Hancy

The BI Admin Tool works great.  I've never tried the job manager, however (something to look forward too, I guess.. LOL)

We are using Windows 10 and as developers, we have an "alt" account that enables us to install software.

To further complicate the issue, I checked with a co-worker who is able to run catalog manager successfully.  We compared shortcuts.

His Target: \catalogmanager\runcat.cmd

His Start In: \catalogmanager

So I tried running runcat.cmd.   Nothing happened.  Then I compared his runcat.cmd with mine. There are some differences - some of which are path name differences.   I am going to go through those differences carefully to see if I can figure this out.

Thanks again for helping me with this!

Dennis

• 9. Re: Export List of OBIEE Catalog Items
                          Gianni Ceresa

First thing is that officially 11.1.1.9 clients aren't certified with Windows 10 , so that's something to keep in mind if at some point things doesn't work.

If your colleague has it working why don't simply uninstall and reinstall? It just take few minutes and will maybe fix everything