5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2017 9:57 AM by BluShadow

Threads archived too soon?

Sven W.

Why is this thread archived already:   Quick SQL Packaged App ?

It prevents me from posting an answer, or to contribute to the problem.

The thread is 4 month old, however the subspace "Packaged Applications" in Apex is not heaviliy used. The thread is still number 15 in the current questions list.

• 1. Re: Threads archived too soon?
          BluShadow

Threads are archived after 3 months of inactivity.

That timescale was seen as an acceptable amount of time such that, if nobody is discussing anything on a thread for 3 months, nor any other activity occurs on it, it should be archived.

You could also argue that, if the OP hasn't found the solution to the problem yet, then it's going to be a bit late for them anyway (not that an answer couldn't help someone else)

• 2. Re: Threads archived too soon?
            Sven W.

I think there should be a difference for spaces and subspaces that are used way less frequently.

In this specific case, I do have the same question and have a solution of a specific case, but the general solution is missing. So I would like to reply to this, and bring it to Oracles attention again.

• 3. Re: Threads archived too soon?
              BluShadow

I would suggest just starting your own thread with the same question and details of your solution, and provide a link back to the original thread.

Unfortunately re-opening an archived thread is not something within the power of the moderators, and I believe it's even hard for the admin to do too, requiring some back end flag to be changed somewhere.

As for the frequency of use of a space, I very much doubt the community platform would be capable of making such a judgement to determine the appropriate length of time; and to be honest, if the space is that quiet and used so infrequently it may be better to remove that space and combine it with a more active or parent space.

• 4. Re: Threads archived too soon?
                Dude!

BluShadow wrote:

Threads are archived after 3 months of inactivity.

That timescale was seen as an acceptable amount of time such that, if nobody is discussing anything on a thread for 3 months, nor any other activity occurs on it, it should be archived.

You could also argue that, if the OP hasn't found the solution to the problem yet, then it's going to be a bit late for them anyway (not that an answer couldn't help someone else)

So the following, which outlines 120 days is no longer valid?

Current archiving policy

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Threads archived too soon?
                  BluShadow

Fair enough, I thought it was 3 months, but it is perhaps 120 days (about 4 months).  I don't keep track of threads as they are archived so was just going from memory (obviously failed memory! hehe!)

The thread Sven refers to is 129 days as of today, so passed the 120 days over a week ago now.