I realize this is a hard problem to solve based on the information I have given in the post. So I decided to do a SQL trace on the APEX process that creates the access control administration page. After studying the trace file I have found that the real error is being suppressed by the APEX wizard. The error that was bugging me was: ORA-01536: space quota exceeded for tablespace 'USERS'. So that of course is easy to solve, but you have to know what to solve in the first place.
So as en enhancement request to the APEX development team: please always show the complete error stack when something goes wrong in the APEX development environment. Otherwise you leave us searching for the proverbial needle in the haystack.
And also for further reference, the APEX documentation is correct that you only need the following preferences:
- create table
- create trigger
- create sequence
Thank you for your help,