3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2017 2:53 PM by BPeaslandDBA

TNS No Listener Issue

RK6116

When i am trying to connect to one of our databases, i am getting an error that

IO Error: The Network adapter could not establish the connection

Vendor code 17002

Tns No Listener issue.

Request you to check and let me know the steps to go ahead on the issue.

• 1. Re: TNS No Listener Issue
          EdStevens

RK6116 wrote:

When i am trying to connect to one of our databases, i am getting an error that

IO Error: The Network adapter could not establish the connection

Vendor code 17002

Tns No Listener issue.

Request you to check and let me know the steps to go ahead on the issue.

What application is returning that error?  Oracle doesn't return error messages in that format, and if you took "Vendor code 17002" to be the apps capturing and repackaging of oracle's error code, there is no ora-17002 related to 'no listener'.

Let's start by seeing your tnsnames.ora file on the client machine.  The the output of 'tnsping <mydb>' on the client machine, where <mydb> is the name of the relevent entry in your tnsnames.ora file.  Also the output of 'lsnrctl status' and the contents of the listener.ora file on the database host machine.

An Oracle "no listener' message (ORA-12541) means that when the client request reached the specified host machine, there was no oracle listener on the specified port.

• 2. Re: TNS No Listener Issue
            thatJeffSmith-Oracle

Also confirm you have a database. SQL Developer is just a client.

• 3. Re: TNS No Listener Issue
              BPeaslandDBA

I talk about this a bit here:  http://searchoracle.techtarget.com/tip/Battle-through-the-recurring-Oracle-TNS-mistakes-admins-make

Basically, there is no listener running on that host with that port. Make sure you have the host and port defined correctly. Then go to that server and make sure the listener is actually running and using that port.

Cheers,
              Brian