5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2017 7:11 AM by Gaz in Oz

Best approach to install Oracle Client, SQL Developer, JDK

I need to install the Oracle Client, SQL Developer and JDK on a number of new Windows machines.  I understand the Oracle Full (not Instant) Client, when run in Administrator mode also installs SQL Developer.  I also saw that the SQL Developer install will install JDK too.  I also saw a warning that the SQL Developer installed as part of the Oracle Full client had an older version of SQL Developer. 

I am thinking I will install the Oracle Instant Client, then SQL Developer (which will install a JDK).  Do folks have any other suggestion?  Many thanks.

• 1. Re: Best approach to install Oracle Client, SQL Developer, JDK

I need to install the Oracle Client, SQL Developer and JDK on a number of new Windows machines.

Why do you 'need to' install an Oracle Client?

Sql Dev can do just about anything with the thin client and Java that you can do with a 'thick' client. And the 'instant' client isn't a full 'thick' install.

I suggest you leave the Oracle client out the mix entirely until you identify an actual need.

• 2. Re: Best approach to install Oracle Client, SQL Developer, JDK
            Gary Graham-Oracle

And...

1. If you intend to install other Java applications on those new machines that require Java 8, you may wish to install JDK 8 (and the optional public JRE 8 that comes with it) separately rather than go with the bundled approach.

2. If you actually do need an Oracle instant client, recall that SQL Developer 17.2 ships with a 12.2.0.1 JDBC driver and requires a minimum of 11.2.0.3 (but we recommend going with the latest release).  Configure that in the Database > Advanced preferences.

• 3. Re: Best approach to install Oracle Client, SQL Developer, JDK

Many thanks for your responses, I am looking for the instant client primarily for sqlplus, so I believe I need to install the 1) basic instant client and 2) sqlplus instant client.

I believe the latest sqldeveloper automatically installs a jdk, I believe it is ok to also do a full Java SDK install, because I will need that for other software.

So I'm thinking the order should be

1) sqldeveloper

2) instant client, then sqlplus instant client

3) JDK

• 4. Re: Best approach to install Oracle Client, SQL Developer, JDK
                Gary Graham-Oracle

The installation order is not important.  You can install multiple versions of all three, then configure the SQL Developer version of interest to use any Oracle Instant Client and JDK, as needed.  

Things to keep in mind...

1. Using an Oracle Instant Client requires prefixing the PATH system variable with that home directory.

2. This implies the use of setup scripts to adjust the PATH if more than one Oracle Instant Client will be in use.

3. The Database > Advanced preferences control which Oracle client and JDBC driver (OCI/Thick or Thin) will be used.

4. The SetJavaHome setting in the product.conf file in the user settings of a specific SQL Developer version controls the JDK.

All the recent SQL Developer releases (4.2 and up) use JDK 1.8 and a minimum of the 11.2.0.3 Instant Client, but the latest 12.2.0.1 is recommended and is what we have shipped since 4.2 and will ship even in the upcoming 17.3 release.

Edit:

instant client, then sqlplus instant client

Not sure, but yes, I always unzip the sqlplus bit after unzipping the basic instant client.

• 5. Re: Best approach to install Oracle Client, SQL Developer, JDK
                  Gaz in Oz

If you do go the "latest" Oracle Instant Client route, I would also suggest:

Instant Client Package - Tools: Includes Data Pump, SQL*Loader and Workload Replay Client

Downloadinstantclient-tools-windows.x64-12.2.0.1.0.zip (1,016,027 bytes) (cksum - 3645067508)

SQL Dev has Datapump interface built in, some may prefer command line utilities though.

Also having sqlldr is a good thing too.

All this does depend on what these "machines" you are commissioning are going to be used for of course.