7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2017 3:52 PM by Dennis Hancy

Conditional Action Links

Dennis Hancy

I want to create a conditional action link on my dashboard page.

Currently, I have an action link on the page that runs a browser script.  However, I now need to modify this to run one of two browser scripts based on a value from an analysis.

My vision is to keep the link I have, but when the user clicks on it, BI will evaluate the value on the analysis and launch the appropriate browser script.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks!

Dennis

• 1. Re: Conditional Action Links
          Robert Angel

Other way up for your logic,

take your existing link, put it through a case statement to generate all the variations you need, job done....

• 2. Re: Conditional Action Links
            Joel Acha

You just need to create a series of Conditional Action Links - one for each condition this way you'd only have one link displaying as required for each condition.

conditions.png

• 3. Re: Conditional Action Links
              Dennis Hancy

Hi.

I've done this before on an Interaction tab of Column Properties, but the Action Link object itself looks a little different.

Is there a way to do this directly on Action Links?

Thanks!

Dennis

• 4. Re: Conditional Action Links
                Dennis Hancy

Here's a screen print of what I have so far.  Just for clarification -- this is for an Action Link object on a Dashboard Page.  It is not an interaction with a column on an analysis.

The action is to "Invoke a Brower Script".  I now have two of these scripts - only one of which can be invoked depending on the value of "Status Cd".  Initially I clicked on the Always button.  I changed this to Conditionally to test out the new requirement.

Is there a place in here to include a Case statement?

Thanks!

Dennis

conditional action link.jpg

• 5. Re: Conditional Action Links
                  Robert Angel

Sorry, misread your original my case statement was presuming you wanted your action links in an answers presentation...

As it is my learned college is correct with the conditional links, all you need to do is create X number of answers analytics, where X = the total number of links and X1 only returns rows when you want the first link to display, X2 only returns rows when you want the second link to display etc.

That is all there is to it.

• 6. Re: Conditional Action Links
                    Joel Acha

Based on what I mentioned previously, all you need to do is to access the column properties > interaction tab (see my screenshot) and one of the interaction types is "invoke a script" . You just need to add a condition to ensure that the column value determines the action link that is called.

• 7. Re: Conditional Action Links
                      Dennis Hancy

Thanks Joel,

It took some doing, but I followed your suggestion (using column properties instead of the action link) and it worked.  I haven't tried the other suggestion that was made, but if time allows, I will try the case statement solution also.  Thanks to you both!

Dennis