10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2017 2:19 PM by thatJeffSmith-Oracle

SQL Developer Compliance

mdh7768

Hello. If I need to SQL*Plus Developer or SQL Developer compliance, can you tell me how that can be done?

• 1. Re: SQL Developer Compliance
          EdStevens

mdh7768 wrote:

Hello. If I need to SQL*Plus Developer or SQL Developer compliance, can you tell me how that can be done?

Please define "SQL*Plus Developer or SQL Developer compliance"

• 2. Re: SQL Developer Compliance
            mdh7768

Sorry  - I need to measure SQL*Plus developer compliance. Can you tell me how that can be done?

• 3. Re: SQL Developer Compliance
              BPeaslandDBA

The term "compliance" is not often used in association with this products. So you'll probably have to expand more on what you are looking for.

Thanks,

Brian

• 4. Re: SQL Developer Compliance
                Gary Graham-Oracle

Do you mean measuring how closely Oracle's SQLcl command line interface conforms to SQL*Plus?

This would be in contrast to complying with some standard like...

1. Obtaining a government security certification, or

2. The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA): Frequently Asked Questions | Oracle Accessibility Program  

We really have no idea what you are asking.

• 5. Re: SQL Developer Compliance
                  EdStevens

mdh7768 wrote:

Sorry - I need to measure SQL*Plus developer compliance. Can you tell me how that can be done?

"compliance" to what?

• 6. Re: SQL Developer Compliance
                    mdh7768

I am on a compliance monitoring team. So for example, if Oracle were to audit us, they would look at how many licenses we have per line item of each specific product on a purchase order. While I know that SQL Developer has been as part of Oracle database since 2014, at no charge, we still have some old Oracle SQL*Developer licenses that we have to pay for.  I am being asked to determine if Oracle did an Audit, How would they know how many old SQL*Plus licenses we are using.

• 7. Re: SQL Developer Compliance
                      EdStevens

mdh7768 wrote:

I am on a compliance monitoring team. So for example, if Oracle were to audit us, they would look at how many licenses we have per line item of each specific product on a purchase order. While I know that SQL Developer has been as part of Oracle database since 2014, at no charge, we still have some old Oracle SQL*Developer licenses that we have to pay for. I am being asked to determine if Oracle did an Audit, How would they know how many old SQL*Plus licenses we are using.

How is it you are paying for a SQL Developer license?

From the SQL Developer home page, at Oracle SQL Developer

• 8. Re: SQL Developer Compliance
                        thatJeffSmith-Oracle

The audit team doesn't look for SQL*Plus or SQL Developer. Those products are included with your database license. They are available for free via OTN as well.

However.

If your database is licensed per user, and you have 10 users licensed for your database and 300 copies of SQL Developer installed, that may raise some eyebrows.

• 9. Re: SQL Developer Compliance
                          BPeaslandDBA

So this is checking to see if your product usage is in compliance with your license agreement.

we still have some old Oracle SQL*Developer licenses that we have to pay for.

That's a new one for me. SQL Dev has been free for me since Project Raptor. I do not recall ever being charged for it.

if Oracle did an Audit, How would they know how many old SQL*Plus licenses we are using.

They wouldn't know, nor would they care to be honest. If you are audited by Oracle you will be given a set of scripts to execute. These scripts are only executed on the servers where you run Oracle products. You will not be asked to run these scripts on the client side where SQL Dev and sqlplus typically live (although they can be on the server too). You will have to send the script output back to Oracle License Management Services (LMS). Being that I was recently audited, I went through the script output very carefully before I sent the results in. I can tell you that none of the scripts are collecting any info on SQL Dev and sqlplus.

Cheers,
                          Brian

• 10. Re: SQL Developer Compliance
                            thatJeffSmith-Oracle

The data modeler was a for charge product for a brief period of time. It's of course free/included now as are the rest of the tools. It's not something an auditor would generally look for or care about. I'd prefer to let our account managers handle these types of questions than try to put an official stamp on that here though.