3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2017 12:20 PM by thatJeffSmith-Oracle

Session monitor in 17.3 still broken for RAC

SteveB

Around 6 months ago I raised an SR with Oracle pointing out the queries the then current version (4.2) was using for the various session monitor tabs were wrong in a RAC instance.  I even provided the correct versions of all the queries.

Rather than pass the information on to the SQL Developer team, it seemed the support analyst wanted to engage me in an endless cycle of discussion and testing when all I wanted him to do was pass the information on.

The information obviously wasn't received in time for the 4.2 release.  It was finally logged as a bug (12943707), but for some reason was entered as an enhancement rather than a real defect.

I've just tried 4.3 and nothing appears to have changed for this release either.

Is nobody using SQL Developer against RAC instances out there?

Here's an example of the query behind the 'Active SQL' tab:

SELECT  replace(q.sql_fulltext,CHR(0) ) sql_text

FROM    gv$session s, gv$sql q

WHERE   s.sql_address = q.address

AND     s.sql_hash_value = q.hash_value

AND     s.sid =:sid

Without adding inst_id as a predicate this returns incorrect results.

I can't see how much detail has been put into the bug but if you have access to SR's, I've documented all the correct SQLs in SR 3-1474741018.  I can add them here if necessary.  Is there any way for us to override queries used by the Session Monitor?  These incorrect queries make it next to useless for a RAC instance.

I logged another SR (3-14950918451) about an incorrect query behind the detail tab of Queue Table objects.  Again I got the run around from the support analyst and nothing appears to have been done.

This is really frustrating.  I assumed raising an SR was the right thing to do, but they seem not in the slightest bit interested in improving the product.  The lack of knowledge/understanding in the support analysts is astounding.

Steve

• 1. Re: Session monitor in 17.3 still broken for RAC

Around 6 months ago I raised an SR with Oracle pointing out the queries the then current version (4.2) was using for the various session monitor tabs were wrong in a RAC instance. I even provided the correct versions of all the queries.

Thanks for doing that. But that is the LIMIT of what you can do.

Rather than pass the information on to the SQL Developer team, it seemed the support analyst wanted to engage me in an endless cycle of discussion and testing when all I wanted him to do was pass the information on.

Sorry - but you have NO control over how a vendor responds, or even IF they respond, other than not using their product.

The forums are for helping people with problems/issues USING a product. There is NOTHING we can help you with in this forum other than the obvious - if you know the correct queries to get the info you need then run those queries yourself and/or create a report that runs them.

Then you can run that report(s) whenever you need the data.

This is really frustrating. I assumed raising an SR was the right thing to do, but they seem not in the slightest bit interested in improving the product. The lack of knowledge/understanding in the support analysts is astounding.

The ONLY place to 'vent' is directly to Oracle since they are the ONLY ones that can, if they choose, do anything about it.

• 2. Re: Session monitor in 17.3 still broken for RAC
            thatJeffSmith-Oracle

The support engineers aren't secretaries, they're supposed to validate customer input before passing it on.

That being said, I'm not sure why this would be set as an enhancement request. I'm out on personal leave until tomorrow, and I'll look into this then.

Support is the proper channel for reporting bugs, and will continue to be so.

The community is for users helping users.

For the SQL Developer community, myself and quite a few developers do want to help users, so we hang out on the community. It's not an end-around on Support though.

• 3. Re: Session monitor in 17.3 still broken for RAC
              thatJeffSmith-Oracle

Thanks for your persistence, we have addressed this for 17.4.

>>s there any way for us to override queries used by the Session Monitor?  These incorrect queries make it next to useless for a RAC instance.

Yes. You can copy the monitor session report to a user defined report, and make it do anything you want. I talk about how to do  that here.