1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 16, 2017 7:33 PM by PhilWilkins

Oracle Microservices offerings

Debanjan De

Hi All,

I am currently working out in my organization for preparing point of views in Oracle Microservices offerings. I understand that Oracle's preferred way of Microservices for the beginners is Application Container Cloud Service. ACCS is a easy to use container-based solution for developing and deploying applications for various technologies like Python, Node.js, Java etc.

However when we consider the characteristics of Microservices - we have to have the data and business logic to reside locally. That's the reason even container technology is highly popular and successful in implementing Microservices. But if we look at the architecture of ACCS, it can containerize only the application, and not the data into it. For doing so we need DBCS or MySQLCS to integrate together. To my understanding, in pure Microservices world, this is not an acceptable way.

Would any one of you could please shed some light on my concern and discuss further.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Deb

• 1. Re: Oracle Microservices offerings
          PhilWilkins

Deb,

So Oracle's position and capability to support Microservices has extended beyond just ACCS now.  The important thing is if you listen to Chris Richardson (lots on ArchBeatDev) is that Microservices does not insist that the data persistance be locked up inside its own container with the code. It needs to respect the decoupling. So you could use the new serverless paradigm (projectFN) with a mySQL instance running separately - and still be a microservice.

But to address your question more directly - Oracle have based on their bare metal the ability to support Docker images - Oracle Container Cloud Service (OCCS).  But Oracle are about to release something that moves the container paradigm forward further with its acquisition of Wercker and a new offering Container Native Application Development Platform.

One of  things we would recommend to really help microservices highly effective is the adoption of the an API Platform. We have been working withis for sometime now and it really helps move game to the right place that minimises the risk  that Microservices doesnt just become a spaghetti mess and services end up becoming tightly coupled.

https://www.oracle.com/corporate/features/cloud-native-delivers.html

HTH