1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2017 3:18 PM by Robert Angel

Ago function

Luigi_Gif

Dear all,

I am having a problem with Ago funtion application. I created a time dimension  and I am interested to have all value YTD of the last year. the formula I am using is:

AGO("Area Sales"."Vendite"."Order Scenario Actual" , "Area Sales"."Schedule Ship Period"."Year" ,1)

It works if the filter is month, while if I try with week, I have no values, or maybe....values are not correct

Does anyone have an advice ?

Thanks

Luigi

• 1. Re: Ago function
          Joel Acha

Can you provide information about your OBIEE version? Also, have you checked the query log files to see what query has been generated by the BI server? Screenshots are always useful to enable people to properly visualize your issue.

• 2. Re: Ago function
            asim cholas

Do you have a proper key for your week in time dimension? Are you using the week column from time dimension in report?

• 3. Re: Ago function
              Robert Angel

Check that you have chronological keys defined at each level of the time dimension hierarchy.

Check that the underlying key for each level is unique at that level

e.g.

Year 2015

Quarter 201504

Month 201510

Week 201548

Date 20151201

Note your keys can be surrogates, the important factor is that they are each unique at that level of the hierarchy and ordered the same as the underlying data

• 4. Re: Ago function
                Luigi_Gif

Hi Joel,

Oracle Business Intelligence Product Version 11.1.1.9.160719

while the error is:

Error Codes: OAMP2OPY:OPR4ONWY:U9IM8TAC:OI2DL65P:OI2DL65P

Odbc driver returned an error (SQLExecDirectW).

State: HY000. Code: 10058. [NQODBC] [SQL_STATE: HY000] [nQSError: 10058] A general error has occurred. [nQSError: 43113] Message returned from OBIS. [nQSError: 27045] Nonexistent column: "Schedule Ship Period"."CAL_WEEK_DESC". (HY000)

SQL Issued: {call NQSGetQueryColumnInfo('SET VARIABLE LOGLEVEL=7; SELECT "Schedule Ship Period"."CAL_WEEK_DESC" FROM "Area Sales"')}

SQL Issued: SET VARIABLE LOGLEVEL=7; SELECT "Schedule Ship Period"."CAL_WEEK_DESC" FROM "Area Sales"

• 5. Re: Ago function
                  Luigi_Gif

Untitled.png

I set my time dimension as displeyed

• 6. Re: Ago function
                    Christian Berg

That's just a logical dimension and does not pertain to your question. You are missing all and and actual dimensional hierarchy objects?!

Either screenshot the real time dimension object with its configuration or - if they really do not exist - create them.

What kind of RPD is that? OBIA? Looks atrocious.

• 7. Re: Ago function
                      Joel Acha

The error is quite clear:

Message returned from OBIS. [nQSError: 27045] Nonexistent column: "Schedule Ship Period"."CAL_WEEK_DESC".

You are referencing a column that doesn't exist in your rpd.

• 8. Re: Ago function
                        Luigi_Gif

Dear Christian,

I have never seen a funny RPD ahah, I am a Deloitte consulting and now I am trying to drive a costumer of ours in his BI activity. So they contact me when there is a problem, this RPD was build by them...

• 9. Re: Ago function
                          Christian Berg

Is that column blocked for access by that user/role?

• 10. Re: Ago function
                            Robert Angel

Hi,

CAL_WEEK_DESC - call me psychic but I suspect that is a descriptor field, not a key. You need to reference a key in AGO function.

Might be worth a punt with CAL_WEEK_ID, but I would need to see what the corresponding dimension hierarchy looks like to comment more fully.

• 11. Re: Ago function
                              Luigi_Gif

Hi Robert,

Here below I attach my time dimension hierarchy

Untitled.png

The Key in this case is DAY, like in all others time dimensions. In my report if I use AGO function and I use the month as a filter, It will work, when I use week it will not

• 12. Re: Ago function
                                Robert Angel

Hi Luigi,

I don't think you are understanding me.

For functions like AGO to work you have to have a well formed time hierarchical dimension with appropriate chronological keys at each level.

Appropriate = uniquely reflecting the level of granularity of the level in question.

You need to check the key that is defined as the unique identifier at week level in your time dimension hierarchy that must have been created to enable AGO to work for month to work.

Your key should be along the lines of 201749 for week 49 of the year 2017, 49 by itself is not valid. (Or a surrogate key equivalent that changes at the same rate as the underlying year / week does.)

What you are showing me is the dimension, you need to show me the (probably level based) hierarchy.

More importantly you need to check that the week key is fit for purpose, and not a weak key....

• 13. Re: Ago function
                                  Luigi_Gif

Hi Rober,

Ok now, I'm sorry but I have been enjoying BI for 7 days. Below I attached the schema requested I hope it will be ok for you to understand my problem:

Untitled.png

In the physical column on the right I also opened the period variable used in my report

Thanks a lot

Luigi

• 14. Re: Ago function
                                    Robert Angel

Hi Luigi,

thanks for the screenshot, what I am asking you to do is to click on the WEEK key in your business model hierarchy as per your screenshot above, query the PHYSICAL column. Then when you are 'on' the physical model column use the tool to query the underlying database and ascertain if your key; -

a. truly represents the granularity of your physical weeks, i.e. if you have 5 years data and 52 weeks in each year (to keep my maths simple) do you have 5 x 52 week distinct keys?

b. Is the key sufficient to represent the uniqueness at that level, i.e. NOT 48,49,50, but 201748, 201749, 201750 or surrogate key equivalent.

Hope that clarifies?

1 2 Previous Next