1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 1, 2017 8:56 PM by Gary Graham-Oracle

Query Builder - Configuring for server version...

ToddG

In SQL Developer 4.2 and up, I notice that when moving to Query Builder from an already started Worksheet (a select statement written), there is a significant lag (2-5 minuets) in displaying the builder. I get a screen that says "Configuring for server version..." and must wait for this to complete. See screenshot below. Does anyone have a fix for this or an idea on why this is occurring? Just to note, older versions of SQL Developer (4.1.5) will display the Query Builder nearly instantaneously for me.

Thank you,

Todd

• 1. Re: Query Builder - Configuring for server version...
          Gary Graham-Oracle

When setting the SQL statement from the Worksheet into QB, we do some just-in-time metadata loading required by the third party software (Active Query Builder).  Unfortunately it seems that, due to a bug that got fixed for 4.2, an optimization to speed up that metadata loading had to be removed.

If I compare response time in 4.1.5 vs 4.2 with the following simple SQL...

SELECT
              employees.first_name,
              employees.last_name,
              departments.department_name,
              locations.street_address,
              locations.postal_code,
              locations.city,
              locations.country_id,
              locations.state_province
          FROM
              departments
              INNER JOIN employees ON employees.employee_id = departments.manager_id
                                      AND departments.department_id = employees.department_id
              INNER JOIN locations ON locations.location_id = departments.location_id

...there is little difference when using a local database connection versus a 6 or 7 second increase for a remote connection (ping time of 40+ millisec).

Presumably your SQL is much more complex, and the delay is dependent on how much metadata must be retrieved.  You could try opening a SR on MOS, but is not clear to me if re-introducing some partial optimization is even possible.