4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2017 8:43 PM by rp0428

SQL Developer Sign In Window Issue

user5798192

This is one peculiar issue I face. If I click on any other window while the SQL Developer loads up, the initial Sign In window will move to the background and the main window is moved to the foreground. Since the Sign In window is modal, and hidden behind the Main Window, there is no way to interact with the main window. The only option is to kill the SQL Developer. But all subsequent starts will have the Sign In window hidden. Starting a second instance of SQL Developer and killing the previous SQL Developer instance is the only remedy I could find so far.

Steps to re-create:

1. Start SQL Developer
      2. Before SQL Developer loads up click on some other window.
      3. When SQL Developer Loads there is no Sign In window, but the main window is shown. But you cannot interact with it as the hidden modal window is preventing interactions with it.

Environment: MS Windows 7 Professional SP 1

SQL Developer version: 17.3.1

Setup: Dual Monitor

Come to think of it, the initial Sign In window seems to be useless as you can always initiate connection through the main window.

• 1. Re: SQL Developer Sign In Window Issue
          Hendrik Schmidt

Hi

I think I cannot reproduce,

is it reproduceable with single Monitor also?

regards?

• 2. Re: SQL Developer Sign In Window Issue
            Gary Graham-Oracle

By Sign In, are you referring to the modal Connection Information dialog you get when a connection's password is not saved?

ConnectionInformationPrompt.jpg

You need to be more precise in describing your test case.  I thought perhaps you might be referring a scenario where...

1. The connection's password is not saved.

2. You have some code editor tabs automatically re-opening from a prior SQL Developer session.

3. The Tools > Preferences > Code Editor > Link Stored Procedures to Files checkbox is ticked.

4. The Connection Information dialog pops up automatically to prompt for the password.

In my testing, however, using 17.3.1 (and in a single monitor environment), the Connection Information dialog only opens if I click on the connection node in the navigator tree. Also, when I click on other windows, returning to SQL Developer always leaves Connection Information in front, never behind the main application window.

So Hendrik Schmidt's comment regarding reproducibility in a single vs multi-monitor environment is definitely relevant.  There have been other issues reported against multiple monitor environments.  For example: Using Multiple Monitors    

• 3. Re: SQL Developer Sign In Window Issue
              Gary Graham-Oracle

Starting a second instance of SQL Developer and killing the previous SQL Developer instance is the only remedy I could find so far.

Starting a second instance creates another copy of system_cache (system_cache_1) in your user settings under the

SQL Developer\system<version> folder.  So an alternate workaround would be to nuke the system_cache folder.

• 4. Re: SQL Developer Sign In Window Issue

The only option is to kill the SQL Developer. But all subsequent starts will have the Sign In window hidden.

Just use alt-tab to switch between windows.