10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2017 2:52 PM by Beauty_and_dBest

EBS R12.2.7 on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Classic

Beauty_and_dBest

EBS R12.2.7

12c

OL6

Hi ALL,

After installing or cloning EBS R12.2.7 on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Classic,

There is post installation task below

http://www.oracle.com/webfolder/technetwork/tutorials/obe/cloud/compute-iaas/creating_ebs/01newinstall.html#section6

Capture4.GIF

Capture5.GIF

Are the above tasks mandatory?

I did not do it but I can access the instance well and good

Please advise.....

Kind regards,

jc

• 1. Re: EBS R12.2.7 on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Classic
          Bashar.

Hi,

The sentence that says you cannot access the instance from public internet is wrong. Yes you can (and you did) access it from public internet.

However, the issue with cloud computing is that the private IP of the instance will most likely change after you restart the instance.

Since the database and application are both configured using the internal host name and IP address, they might not work properly after the IP changes.

The steps in the link you referenced ensures that the application tier runs using the public IP address and host name instead of the private ones.

These steps, however, are not mandatory. We were able to run different instances smoothly using the private IP and host name but it needs a little tweaking of the operating system to get the services working upon system startup.

Regards,

Bashar

• 2. Re: EBS R12.2.7 on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Classic
            Beauty_and_dBest

Yeah its wierd, why is AWS if I stop the instance and start, it will still retain is private IP

I need to run autoconfig in OCI if you stop the instance.

Kind regards,

• 3. Re: EBS R12.2.7 on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Classic
              Bashar.

Your only solution in OCI is to configure the application to run on the public IP.

Regards,

Bashar

• 4. Re: EBS R12.2.7 on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Classic
                Beauty_and_dBest

Hi Bashar,

It is always run on public IP, but if the internal IP is changed then the public IP will not work as well  unless you run autoconfig

What am i saying is why Oracle Cloud can not "copy" the technology of AWS

Kind regards,

• 5. Re: EBS R12.2.7 on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Classic
                  Bashar.

Actually, the EBS image already has a startup script that changes the private IP in /etc/hosts.

The problem is that this script runs at the same time as the ones that start up the database and application.

For the database, it works after some time but for the application tier you must manually start up the application.

I have come up with a solution to correct this behavior and tested it successfully in both 12.2.6 and 12.2.7 instances created from an image.

By the way, copying other's technology is normally considered illegal!

Regards,

Bashar

• 6. Re: EBS R12.2.7 on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Classic
                    Beauty_and_dBest

Hi Bashar,

What I mean "copy" is in a legal way, to have same functionality but of their own style

Which of the script can I run to start the appsTier or dbTier, from a new or changed IP?

[root@a6dd6a scripts]# ls -l

total 44

-r-xr-xr-x 1 oracle oinstall 2408 Nov 25  2016 cleanup.sh

-r-xr-xr-x 1 oracle oinstall 4144 Nov 25  2016 configdhcp.sh

-r-xr-xr-x 1 oracle oinstall 1921 Jun 10  2016 confighostname.sh

-r-xr-xr-x 1 oracle oinstall 1787 Jun 10  2016 configstatic.sh

-r-xr-xr-x 1 oracle oinstall 6084 Sep 16  2016 configwebentry.sh

-r-xr-xr-x 1 oracle oinstall  508 Jun 10  2016 configyum.sh

-r-xr-xr-x 1 oracle oinstall 1595 Jun 10  2016 disableRoot.sh

-r-xr-xr-x 1 oracle oinstall 2795 Nov 25  2016 updatehosts.sh

-r-xr-xr-x 1 oracle oinstall  228 Jun 10  2016 zeroout.sh

[root@a6dd6a scripts]# pwd

/u01/install/scripts

Or this one ?

[root@a6dd6a scripts]# ls -l

total 116

-rwx--x--x 1 oracle oinstall  7215 Jun 10  2016 addhybridnode.sh

-rw-r--r-- 1 oracle oinstall  4902 May  4  2017 addnodepairs.txt

-rwx--x--x 1 oracle oinstall  7314 Jun 10  2016 addsharednode.sh

-rwx--x--x 1 oracle oinstall  5991 Jun 10  2016 appscleanup.sh

-rwx--x--x 1 oracle oinstall 11991 Jun 10  2016 appsconfig.sh

-rwx------ 1 oracle oinstall  3518 Nov 25  2016 appspairs.txt

-rwx------ 1 oracle oinstall   750 Jun 10  2016 apps.rc

-rwx--x--x 1 oracle oinstall  4129 Jun 10  2016 dbcleanup.sh

-rwx--x--x 1 oracle oinstall  7076 Jun 10  2016 dbconfig.sh

-rwx------ 1 oracle oinstall   519 Jun 10  2016 db_pairs.txt

-rwx------ 1 oracle oinstall   696 Jun 10  2016 db.rc

-rwxr-xr-x 1 oracle oinstall  3522 Sep 15  2016 enableDEMOusers.sh

-rwxr-xr-x 1 oracle oinstall  1406 Sep 15  2016 enableSYSADMIN.sh

-rwx------ 1 oracle oinstall  3647 May  4  2017 inst_apps_pairs.txt

-rwx------ 1 oracle oinstall   521 May  4  2017 inst_db_pairs.txt

-rwx--x--x 1 oracle oinstall  2167 Jun 10  2016 startapps.sh

-rwx--x--x 1 oracle oinstall  1630 Jun 10  2016 startdb.sh

-rwx--x--x 1 oracle oinstall  2158 Jun 10  2016 startpatchadmin.sh

-rwx--x--x 1 oracle oinstall  2033 Jun 10  2016 stopapps.sh

-rwx--x--x 1 oracle oinstall  1579 Jun 10  2016 stopdb.sh

-rwx------ 1 oracle oinstall   671 Jun 10  2016 updateip.rc

[root@a6dd6a scripts]# pwd

/u01/install/APPS/scripts

Kind regards,

• 7. Re: EBS R12.2.7 on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Classic
                      Bashar.

The scripts are already scheduled to run but their order is not correct.

Here are the needed commands to make them work:

sudo su -

cd /etc/rc.d/rc3.d

mv S96apps S92apps

mv S90ebsdb S91ebsdb

mv S96updateip S90updateip

Regards,

Bashar

• 8. Re: EBS R12.2.7 on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Classic
                        Beauty_and_dBest

Hi Bashar,

Are those scripts from Oracle EBS cloud? I do not have those scripts in my list.

Kind regards,

• 9. Re: EBS R12.2.7 on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Classic
                          Bashar.

Did you create your instance from an image from the marketplace?

If yes then the scripts already exist in /etc/init.d and you just need to run the commands I provided.

Regards,

Bashar

• 10. Re: EBS R12.2.7 on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Classic
                            Beauty_and_dBest

Ok Thanks, I will the /etc/init.d