3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2006 12:02 PM by 525514

Multiple db_bridge_writers

Hello,

I created a database adapter and set the parameter db_bridge_schema1_num_writers=2. When starting the adapter, two writer database sessions were created. Unfortunately, one of the sessions does all the work and the other one just stays inactive. This makes the above mentioned parameter quite useless or am I missing something?

Regards, Jeroen

P.S. we are using Interconnect 10.1.2.0.0
        • 1. Re: Multiple db_bridge_writers
          This is the idea of the parameter.
          If your messages are small and one of the adapter threads is able to process the messages then it may have no need to use the other thread.

This parameter is used to provide better throughput, but from my experience I have not needed to use this feature. If you have lots of messages then one simple way of increasing throughput is to set the log level to 0, as writing logging has the biggest impact on this.

Another reason for not using this feature is that you cannot then guarentee the order of message delivery, this may not be an issue for you but is for lots of systems, certainly the ones i've worked on.

You could also use the partitioning feature where you can route certain events through specific partitions.

One way to test the multiple writers feature is to pass through a number of large messages then hopefully this will help prove it works.

Stuart.
          • 2. Re: Multiple db_bridge_writers
            This is the idea of the parameter.
            If your messages are small and one of the adapter threads is able to process the messages then it may have no need to use the other thread.

This parameter is used to provide better throughput, but from my experience I have not needed to use this feature. If you have lots of messages then one simple way of increasing throughput is to set the log level to 0, as writing logging has the biggest impact on this.

Another reason for not using this feature is that you cannot then guarentee the order of message delivery, this may not be an issue for you but is for lots of systems, certainly the ones i've worked on.

You could also use the partitioning feature where you can route certain events through specific partitions.

One way to test the multiple writers feature is to pass through a number of large messages then hopefully this will help prove it works.

Stuart.
            • 3. Re: Multiple db_bridge_writers
              Hi Stuart,

Thanks for your respons. The messages in themselves aren't that big but the database processing involved with each message takes a while. In the mean time, the other writer just sits there, doing nothing. The messages are totally independent from each other, so sequencing is not an issue.

Regards, Jeroen