1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2017 2:16 AM by Beauty_and_dBest

Manage Manual Archive log Transfer

Beauty_and_dBest

11gR2,

OL2

Hi ALL,

We are performing autobackup of our archivelogs from PROD server to DR server.

The PROD server has folder : /u01/ARCH   << this is the location of auto-generated archivelogs

The DR derver has also folder :/u01/ARCH   << I want to copy each archivelogs to this folder using a scheduled cron batch script.

Please help share a script that will auto copy each generated archivelogs from PROD to DR

I think BillyV is good at this?

Kind regards,

jc

• 1. Re: Manage Manual Archive log Transfer
          EdStevens

Beauty_and_dBest wrote:

11gR2,

OL2

Hi ALL,

We are performing autobackup of our archivelogs from PROD server to DR server.

The PROD server has folder : /u01/ARCH << this is the location of auto-generated archivelogs

An "auto-generated" archivelog?  what other kind is there?

The DR derver has also folder :/u01/ARCH << I want to copy each archivelogs to this folder using a scheduled cron batch script.

Please help share a script that will auto copy each generated archivelogs from PROD to DR

After all this time you should know by now that the forum is not a code-writing service.  If you want help with code, the community expects you to put in some effort yourself, show your work, and explain what's not working about it.

I think BillyV is good at this?

Lot's of people here are good at this.  It's considered bad form to try to ask for help from any specific person.

Is this just a continuation of Weird RMAN backup this week? , where we went 'round and 'round about backups of archivelogs?

• 2. Re: Manage Manual Archive log Transfer
            jgarry

https://www.databasejournal.com/features/oracle/article.php/3682421/Manual-Standby-Database-under-Oracle-Standard-Editio…

You know, no one can do your work for you, and the most important thing if you do this is to fully understand what such scripts do and how to manage them.  The most important thing is to only move logs that have been completely written out.  You must carefully look at the archive log destination options for your version.

There are scripts floating about the internet, but my google-fu seems inadequate this morning.  I don't give out the ones I used to use, because there are better ones floating about.  The above article is a pretty good statement of work needed.  There were articles on MOS, but they seem lost among the dataguard things.

Is the receiving end nfs mounted? Or do you need ftp or rsync?

• 3. Re: Manage Manual Archive log Transfer
              Beauty_and_dBest

Thanks Jg,

I have tried resync but it is very slowwwww, it did not work, and it just hang forever(tested it on two local servers).

I don't give out the ones I used to use, because there are better ones floating about.  << well, I am not choosy, and willing to accept not-so-better ones

Besides, our DR server can only access PROD because it has public IP.

DR server need port forwarding to be accessed from outside or remote.

I do not know how to configure port forwarding. I need access permission from internet DSL provider as well.

What I can do now is  from DR,  run   > scp -r  oracle@PROD:/u01/ARCH    /u01

But  I want a script that will copy succeeding archivelogs one by one.

Please help.........................................................................................................................................................

Kind regards,

• 4. Re: Manage Manual Archive log Transfer
                Beauty_and_dBest

Hi Ed,

Is this just a continuation of Weird RMAN backup this week? , where we went 'round and 'round about backups of archivelogs?

Yes, but I have updated that post anew

Kindly feedback

Kind regards,

• 5. Re: Manage Manual Archive log Transfer
                  EdStevens

Beauty_and_dBest wrote:

Thanks Jg,

I have tried resync but it is very slowwwww, it did not work, and it just hang forever(tested it on two local servers).

I don't give out the ones I used to use, because there are better ones floating about. << well, I am not choosy, and willing to accept not-so-better ones

Besides, our DR server can only access PROD because it has public IP.

DR server need port forwarding to be accessed from outside or remote.

I do not know how to configure port forwarding. I need access permission from internet DSL provider as well.

What I can do now is from DR, run > scp -r oracle@PROD:/u01/ARCH /u01

But I want a script that will copy succeeding archivelogs one by one.

Please help.........................................................................................................................................................

Kind regards,

Use a 'find' command to drive what's scp does.  I leave it as an exercise for the student to discover

1) how the 'find' command can "find" files based on their timestamp

2) how to feed the resulting file list to another command.

Based on this and your previous thread, I'm concerned that your "backup" of archivelogs is ill-conceived.  Are you taking rman backups of the archivelogs.  In your previous thread you never addressed that, in spite of multiple attempts to get you to do so.

• 6. Re: Manage Manual Archive log Transfer
                    jgarry

Oh, am I hearing you want to suck stuff from prod over the internet?  My first response is yikes.

You probably want to obtain a list of files that have already made it, attach to prod and get a list of files that have been archived, and scp the difference.  Then you want to compare filesizes, or preferably some checksum of the files.  I can't recall having seen that anywhere for this context.  Usually standbys are a push model.

• 7. Re: Manage Manual Archive log Transfer
                      Beauty_and_dBest

Hi Ed,

Re: Based on this and your previous thread, I'm concerned that your "backup" of archivelogs is ill-conceived.  Are you taking rman backups of the archivelogs.  In your previous thread you never addressed that, in spite of multiple attempts to get you to do so.

Don't you see that I am copying the archivelogs to another DR server? Can't you call it as backup of the archivelogs

Regards,

• 8. Re: Manage Manual Archive log Transfer
                        Beauty_and_dBest

Thanks Jg, for your thoughts and  concerns

• 9. Re: Manage Manual Archive log Transfer
                          EdStevens

Beauty_and_dBest wrote:

Hi Ed,

Re: Based on this and your previous thread, I'm concerned that your "backup" of archivelogs is ill-conceived. Are you taking rman backups of the archivelogs. In your previous thread you never addressed that, in spite of multiple attempts to get you to do so.

Don't you see that I am copying the archivelogs to another DR server? Can't you call it as backup of the archivelogs

Regards,

Well, I wouldn't call it a backup, because to me the term 'backup' has different implications.  I just call it 'copying the archivelogs to DR'.

• 10. Re: Manage Manual Archive log Transfer
                            AJ

Beauty_and_dBest skrev:

Thanks Jg,

I've used rsync for this very purpose maintaining a "data guard" on standard edition. worked really well. but rsync comes with lots of options so you need to read through it's man page before starting. Maybe you were copying all the archived redo logs over and over instead of only the ones not existing on the source?

AJ

• 11. Re: Manage Manual Archive log Transfer
                              Beauty_and_dBest

Thanks Aj, Ed and ALL,

I understand that resync only transfer archivelogs not existing on the target. But it seems taking a long time checking those files

Regards,

• 12. Re: Manage Manual Archive log Transfer
                                JohnWatson2

I use NFS for this sort of thing. Much easier than any script.

• 13. Re: Manage Manual Archive log Transfer
                                  Beauty_and_dBest

Thanks John.

But our PROD is on-premise and our DR is on Oracle Cloud  IaaS.

Best regards,

• 14. Re: Manage Manual Archive log Transfer
                                    JohnWatson2

So what? You just open the appropriate ports. You can use NFS in either direction. I would usually archive to a local file system and export it to the cloud server, but if you want to minimize the possibility of data loss you do it the other way around.

However, this whole topic is really nothing to do with Oracle. It is just sys admin stuff.

1 2 Previous Next