4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2018 8:24 AM by user10654662

No more public updates for java 1.8 since next September

user10654662

I have a big question here.

Many of my legacy systems runs with old java versions. I would like to migrate all those system during next year to java 1.8, because java 1.9 has only three moths of life and no of my current App servers support it (WildFly, Weblogic).

For my surprise Oracle have anounced that there wont be new updates of java 1.8 since next September. So, What should be my next move? On one hand, I cannot go to an unsupported java versón. On the other hand, if a security bug is found in java 1.8 I won't have any patch available.

Please! advice!

• 1. Re: No more public updates for java 1.8 since next September
          eudriscabrera-JavaNet

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/eol-135779.html

Oracle will not post further updates of Java SE 8 to its public download sites for commercial use after September 2018. Customers who need continued access to critical bug fixes and security fixes as well as general maintenance for Java SE 8 or previous versions can get long term support through Oracle Java SE Advanced, Oracle Java SE Advanced Desktop, or Oracle Java SE Suite. All other users are recommended to upgrade to the latest major releases of the Oracle JDK or OpenJDK. 

• 2. Re: No more public updates for java 1.8 since next September
            eudriscabrera-JavaNet

Hi,

Sander Mak in his article "5 things you need to know about Java 9" does a very good explanation about the Java release cycle and why Java 9 is a very important release.

Here some important lines of Sander Mak's article:

Upgrading your Java version every 6 months is not an enticing prospect for many organisations. Therefore, there will be long-term-support (LTS) versions designated every three years. The first LTS release will be the release of September 2018. That also means Java 9 will not be on of the long-term supported releases.

So, is Java 9 right for you?

Does the new release schedule mean that you shouldn’t adopt Java 9 and wait for the first LTS release end of next year instead? From an operations perspective, that is an attractive strategy. From a development perspective, there are too many important changes arising from the modularized JDK to put off adoption.

My advice is to start developing your application on top of Java 9 as soon as possible. You don't have to use modules for your application when moving to Java 9—they’re completely optional. Nevertheless the JDK is modularized, so you’ll need to deal with the new reality of encapsulation in the JDK. Even if your application runs on the classpath, postponing the move to the modular JDK makes it harder and more costly to deal with later.

One option is to start using JDK 9 to develop your applications, but still target JDK 8 as runtime. A newly introduced '--release' flag supports this scenario. This course of action prevents an immediate upgrade to your infrastructure, but at the same time precludes you from benefitting from new APIs and performance and security enhancements. Adopting Java 9 quickly allows you to get ready for the first long-term-support release next year. After that, you can always choose to remain longer on this LTS version.

Continuing reading at https://www.pluralsight.com/blog/software-development/java-9-impact

Java

• 3. Re: No more public updates for java 1.8 since next September
              user10654662

Hi!

Thank you for your answer.

To my taste, the picture is not so clear. I've forwared this situation to my local Oracle support staff (they are always trying to sell something, so it is a big oportunity to get first class information). They have no idea of this new java life cicle and their opinion is that it is insane. They've promised me to make some internal reseach. I'll put here the details.

Anyway, to my taste, the possition here is that companies -no matter their size- will have to pay to get support. Small companies problably will move to other languages, but Enterprise size companies have little (or no) choices.

• 4. Re: No more public updates for java 1.8 since next September
                user10654662

Hi there!

After having a small talk with Oracle, the picture is cristal clear: If you have weblogic, then you are some how "protected" and will be able to receive java updates. Otherwise, if you have also other App serves (such a JBoss or Tomcat) then you MUST pay for these java updates.

This make no sense, but it is the Oracle way.