7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2018 11:41 AM by 3562011

odp.net for dotnet core 2.0

bb4658ed-4b24-4fec-b042-745fae5e6fb0

DISCLAIMER: I've had to try and calm myself prior to making this post. Please don't take anything as an attack here, but realize it's just sheer frustration.

You guys want to charge a premium price for an inferior product (some customers still insist on using oracle... to each his own).

A little history

DatabaseDriver Info
      Supported Date
      Core Version Supported
      Supports EF Core
      MySQLhttps://github.com/mysql-net/MySqlConnector 9/2016 or earliernet standard 1.3yes
      PostgresCompatibility Notes | Npgsql Documentation 10/2016varyingyes
      SqlServerhttps://www.nuget.org/packages/System.Data.SqlClient < 9/2016varyingyes
      FirebirdFirebird: .NET Provider < 11/2016netstandard1.6+yes
      SQLlitehttps://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/ef/core/providers/sqlite ~ 6/2016netstandard2.0yes (limited)
      Mongo DBhttps://github.com/mongodb/mongo-csharp-driver < 9/2016netstandard1.5n/a
      Oraclehttp://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/dotnet/tech-info/odpnet-dotnet-core-sod-3628981.pdf who knowsnetstandard2.0no

Looks like you guys were late to even just releasing a statement of what and when availability might be there, and then apparently missed the boat. A year (or more) late and a dollar short.

The reality here is that with the exception of some higher level changes (windows specific functionality that should be going bye bye anyway), most of the .net class library is intact (ESPECIALLY if you are playing it safe targeting .net standard 2.0). Rather than pushing existing users / customers further away... maybe you guys could release some information about how late you guys might be, or whats going on, or that you guys decided to just stop... whatever.

Can you guys for the love of God and all that is holy... give us something?!, "we ran into unforseen problems, adding slight delay" or "getting close" or really anything. I mean this stuff really isn't this hard... at all... and its really not inspiring confidence either.

I guess in oracle land you pay more for less =)

/rant

• 1. Re: odp.net for dotnet core 2.0
          user9221971

To be fair, that statement of direction did mention "Oracle plans to certify ODP.NET, Managed Driver on Microsoft .NET Core around the end of calendar year 2017."  January is technically still around that timeframe.  But yeah, pretty disappointed that there's no communication at all.  Third-party driver providers like Devart already proves that it is technically possible to implement it in .NET Core.  So for a first party to take this long to develop their own drivers is concerning.  We already punted using .NET Core for a recent project because of poor first-party Oracle driver support.

• 2. Re: odp.net for dotnet core 2.0
            user3939382

This has gone from irritating, to frustrating, to "having to revisit our roadmaps" exasperating, to "why the hell are we paying a premium for this" infuriating.

The original timeline was unacceptable, the lack of communication is unacceptable, the lack of a public beta was unacceptable, and the fact that it is now 2018 and we still have no drivers is unacceptable.

IF WE CANNOT CONNECT TO YOUR DATABASE WE CANNOT USE YOUR DATABASE.

The connection drivers should be an absolute top priority for a database vendor.  The fact that they seem to be an afterthought is simply baffling.

• 3. Re: odp.net for dotnet core 2.0
              Gaz in Oz

user3939382 wrote

This has gone from irritating, to frustrating, to "having to revisit our roadmaps" exasperating, to "why the hell are we paying a premium for this" infuriating.

The original timeline was unacceptable, the lack of communication is unacceptable, the lack of a public beta was unacceptable, and the fact that it is now 2018 and we still have no drivers is unacceptable.

IF WE CANNOT CONNECT TO YOUR DATABASE WE CANNOT USE YOUR DATABASE.

The connection drivers should be an absolute top priority for a database vendor.  The fact that they seem to be an afterthought is simply baffling.

...So take it up with Oracle.  These threads are contributed primarily by volunteers, who give their spare time FREELY, to help others.

Use your paid up Oracle support license to raise an SR at support.oracle.com.

Same advice to Mottor and bb4658ed-4b24-4fec-b042-745fae5e6fb0

• 4. Re: odp.net for dotnet core 2.0
                Mottor

To Gaz,

I am not expecting here you to help me. If I want help from other developers, I go in StackOverflow. And if you request something new, you cannot rise a support request. What  I expect here is an answer from the people which are responsible for this. And no body urge you to write here. You are the one, who mumble here. Oooo FREELY, blah blah MY TIME. If you do not have something to say, do not spam.

• 5. Re: odp.net for dotnet core 2.0
                  Gaz in Oz

To Gaz,

I am not expecting here you to help me. If I want help from other developers, I go in StackOverflow. And if you request something new, you cannot rise a support request. What  I expect here is an answer from the people which are responsible for this. And no body urge you to write here. You are the one, who mumble here. Oooo FREELY, blah blah MY TIME. If you do not have something to say, do not spam.

...sure.

• 6. Re: odp.net for dotnet core 2.0
                    user3300459

I don't understand why there are no information at all,,,

Can you give us something Oracle, not even answering is so unproffesional (here, on tweeter or on support..)

This driver is long time waited.

Now we are to the point we can't trust Oracle anymore and we have to recommand migrating everything we can to MsSQL.

And the saddest thing is that Oracle look like they don't care at all...