5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2018 10:02 PM by Joerg.Sobottka

ORA-00214: control file

Marco De la Fuente

Dear friends

I'm using OVM to migrate databases that are on a physical server. I installed the operating system that is the same as the physical server. I copied the / oracle directory using rsincx from linux and the next day I took the data files to the virtual machine. I must do so because I can not stop the source database.Finally when I wanted to raise the database I got the following error:

"ORA-00214: control file'/oracle/app/oracle/fast_recovery_area/msaproc/control03.ctl' version 822413inconsistent with file '/sisrem/msaproc/control01.ctl' version 821692 "

Is it because the datafiles are from a different date?

What I can do?

Use oracle 11.2.0.4. Standar Edition One on oracle linux 6

Greetings

• 1. Re: ORA-00214: control file
          Joerg.Sobottka

Well, the controlfiles and the data files do have a system change number (SCN) in the file headers and nearly every microsecond this scn is changing (don't want to bother you with internals). If you have more than one control file, all of these need to have the same SCN in the file headers and typically also the data files. What you should use is the recovery manager to duplicate the database to the new host (you can follow the cook book of oracle 11g): https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E28271_01/backup.1111/e10642/rcmdupdb.htm

BR

Joerg

• 2. Re: ORA-00214: control file
            Marco De la Fuente

Hello Joerg, thanks for the attention.

I can not use RMAN, it is for payment. Therefore, I modified the spfile with the most recent control file, using the instruction "alter system set control_files = '/ oracle / app / oracle / fast_recovery_area / msaproc / control03.ctl' scope = spfile;". I was able to solve this, and I was able to mount the database, however, now it gives me the following error "ORA-01113: file 1 needs media recovery
            ORA-01110: data file 1: '/sisrem/msaproc/system01.dbf' " I am currently investigating this error, my database is not in archive mode.

Thanks

Marco

• 3. Re: ORA-00214: control file
              Joerg.Sobottka

Hi Marco,

rman is free as part of the database, it is NEVER an extra cost option - I am doing licensing for Oracle software for over 20 years now.

If your database is not in an archive log running mode, all database files must be closed to get a consistent backup of the database - the error you get is again due to the different system change numbers in the data file headers -> inconsistency means media recovery.

So the only possibilty is to MOUNT the database (after a clean shutdown - so all SCN numbers are the same for the controlfiles and the data files), back it up with RMAN, or shut it down and copy/rsync/doing a fast snapshot at storage level and use the copy / the snapshot to create the new database.

BR

Joerg

• 4. Re: ORA-00214: control file
                Marco De la Fuente

Thanks Joerg, your information has been very useful to me.

Greetings

Marco De la Fuente

• 5. Re: ORA-00214: control file
                  Joerg.Sobottka

@marco de la Fuente

You're welcome, please mark your question as answered then.

Best regards

Joerg