5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2018 9:22 PM by Paavo

Baby-steps to fix "404 Not Found" for APEX after ORDS 17.4.1 upgrade

Paavo

There are several forum discussions about "404 Not Found" for ORDS upgrades for various versions.

For that reason baby-steps to fix this for the most recent ORDS 17.4.1 are needed especially for APEX setups.

It wouldn't hurt to still have glassfish-version of steps, even when its support will be discontinued.

I start with the situation

1.) https://host:port/apex

2.) https://host:port/i/apex_version.txt

Application Express Version: 5.1.4

And then what?

rgrds vaaPo

• 1. Re: Baby-steps to fix "404 Not Found" for APEX after ORDS 17.4.1 upgrade
          Paavo

3.) Uninstall and reinstall ORDS but this time read carefully the instructions?

I think this is something that will anyway happen in certain step.

So systematic 'tests' to check how far the upgrade has progressed and what could be the cause of having 404.

rgrds vaaPo

• 2. Re: Baby-steps to fix "404 Not Found" for APEX after ORDS 17.4.1 upgrade
            Janne-Pekka

Hi,

I was making this installation with Paavo, so just confirming that it was really difficult to find out where the problem lied. Also the installation steps of ORDS were not very well documented in ORDS installation manual and that was one of the reasons why we failed in it first time.

In my opinion, this step in during installation is not very intuitive:

Enter 1 if you want to use PL/SQL Gateway or 2 to skip this step.

If using Oracle Application Express or migrating from mod_plsql then you must enter 1 [1]:

That's where I chose the wrong option (2) and because of that our installation was not complete and therefore we got this "404 Not found" error message. Maybe I didn't read this carefully enough, but it should be also documented better in installation manual, in my opinion.

Regards,

Janne

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Baby-steps to fix "404 Not Found" for APEX after ORDS 17.4.1 upgrade
              Paavo

Janne-Pekka  indeed I felt microsofted, we ended up to 'myriad of try this and that' tricks to find out what we have missed.

Best of those included:

1. hunting of ORA errors from logs like: ORA-12514 etc.
              2. trying to interpret errors like : java.lang.IllegalArgumentException
              3. adding / to the end of the url
              4. extracting the ords.war
              5. fiddling back and forth with the ords.war vs. apex naming tricks
              6. jogging glassfish up& down
              7. checking several schemas and their grants esp. create session etc. ORDS, APEX_LISTENER, APEX_REST_PUBLIC_USER
              8. frustrating moments related to ORDS-schema versioning style, how to revert changes back to older ORDS?
              9. https://support.oracle.com/rs?type=doc&id=2257515.1   wondering what was in that and could that help
              10. error 404 as normal situation for ORDS - we felt happy that it was up, but couldn't see behind it
              11. wondering if we were already trapped due use of glassfish

Somehow felt that there could be some easier way to check ORDS+APEX setups correctness.

rgrds vaaPo

• 4. Re: Baby-steps to fix "404 Not Found" for APEX after ORDS 17.4.1 upgrade
                thatJeffSmith-Oracle

In my opinion, this step in during installation is not very intuitive:

Enter 1 if you want to use PL/SQL Gateway or 2 to skip this step.

If using Oracle Application Express or migrating from mod_plsql then you must enter 1 [1]:

That's where I chose the wrong option (2) and because of that our installation was not complete and therefore we got this "404 Not found" error message. Maybe I didn't read this carefully enough, but it should be also documented better in installation manual, in my opinion.

This is the current Docs on this topic:

Table 1-2 Options for Configuring Application Express or Migrating from mod_plsql

Options Description

Enter 1 if you want to use PL/SQL Gateway or 2 to skip this step. If using Oracle

Application Express or migrating from mod_plsql

then you must enter 1 [1]:

Enter the PL/SQL Gateway database user name [APEX_PUBLIC_USER]:

Confirm password:

Enter the database password for APEX_PUBLIC_USER:

You can perform one of the following:

If you are using Oracle Application Express, then specify the PL/SQL gateway user as APEX_PUBLIC_USER and the corresponding database password.

If you are migrating from Oracle mod_plsql, then specify the PL/SQL gateway database username and database password.

If you are not using either Oracle Application Express or migrating from Oracle mod_plsql, then select 2 to skip this step.

I'm happy to send feedback to the docs team, or even make changes to the installer. What would have been more helpful for you in this scenario?

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Baby-steps to fix "404 Not Found" for APEX after ORDS 17.4.1 upgrade
                  Paavo

thatJeffSmith-Oracle wrote:

I'm happy to send feedback to the docs team, or even make changes to the installer. What would have been more helpful for you in this scenario?

Perhaps in this scenario the similarity with apex upgrades could have been helpful.
                  Documentation could have 2 chapters dedicated for Apex ORDS installations.

- installation of ORDS for APEX

- upgrade of ORDS for existing Apex via ORDS

- and perhaps for security, downgrade of ORDS

Also could it be a bit misleading for casual apex admin to think about modplsql  gateways weren't they from the time of htmldb 1.5 - 1.6.? The gateway word could also lead to think about the APEX epg (embedded gateway). Of course having apex listeners and listeners and so on starts to require a pictures before and after for the setup

#1 updates are available type of message somewhere that new version of ORDS is available

#2 the installation script could have steps like:

a) checking the existing setup, and then presenting the analysis for suggested upgrade paths

it seems that you have glassfish which is too old, and remember it will be deprecated

it seems that you have previous ORDS installation, do you want to backup ORDS schema now (etc. backup tasks)

b) upgrade could then ask if existing configs should be copied

- a bit in the style of copying SqlDevelopers current configs and connections to new version

c) if there are deprecated or to be deprecated components (glassfish), it could warn about those and propose different type of setup (tomcat)

Then after installation there could be some kind of example torture application for Apex-ORDS setup.  It is possible to hassle with the /i/ and with rest services badly (done it ). And it would not hurt to have tests to test the performance because the EPG apex setup performed (at least when ORDS first came) faster for e.g. copy-pasted spreadsheet content than ORDS. There are some forum articles about fiddling with the Table B-1 Oracle REST Data Services Configuration Files Parameters but it would be good to have some sort of preferences for different type of setups e.g. high, medium, low volume apex setups.

But don't get us wrong - we love Apex, ORDS, SqlDeveloper, DataModeler etc. tools we can use from Oracle!

There are always new things to learn and better ways to implement.

rgrds vaaPo