2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2018 3:28 PM by pnosko

Unable to save as "Model in a single file"

pnosko

Version 17.4.0.355, macOS. I started the tool, created a new model, imported a few tables from my data dictionary, changed the model properties to Model in a single file and saved. I got a .dmd file and a corresponding folder tree (Model in many files). I then closed the tool, started it up again and opened the model. Checking the model properties, it was still set to Model in a single file. I deleted the .dmd and corresponding folder and did a Save As with a new name. But I still got a .dmd file and a corresponding folder tree (Model in many files).

I tried holding my mouth right. Can anyone get a Model in a single file in this version?

• 1. Re: Unable to save as "Model in a single file"
          Philip Stoyanov-Oracle

changed the model properties to Model in a single file

it's a setting for the design how existing models to be saved. Each design has a logical model, many relational models, each relational model can have many physical models, ...

Each model has objects (tables, views and foreign keys for relational model) and each object is stored in separate file when "Model in many files" is set as option. "Model in single file" means that for each model there is one file that contains all definitions.

for 17.4 and Windows it works as expected.

I deleted the .dmd and corresponding folder and did a Save As with a new name

Very dangerous - not all models are loaded when you open the design, so deleting the files before "save as" could lead to lost of models.

Philip

• 2. Re: Unable to save as "Model in a single file"
            pnosko

Thank you for the reply and explanation. Regarding the delete before a save-as, this is good to know, but it was just a test design. I do see a marked difference in directory/file counts between the two options, but would then suggest that "single file" is misleading without this explanation. I would like to see this explanation documented. Perhaps, also explain why one would choose one of these three options (single, multiple, mixed). I assume there has to be a good reason why these options were provided.

It still would be nice to have a true single-file option (bury it all in an archive) for source control purposes.