5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2018 4:39 PM by L. Fernigrini

Weekly quiz feedback and dissatisfaction

b0b83770-5694-426f-b1fd-dec28d6a867d

I took my week 2 quiz today.  On my first pass I did not get a passing grade and my percentage showed that each question is not worth 10 percent.  It does not indicate which questions were correct or the number correct of incorrect, it only allows you to go right back to taking the quiz again.  Since several questions ask to choose more than one response one of those had to be the source of an incorrect answer.  Making changes to some questions (for example choosing 3 of the slightly ambiguous answers instead of 2) resulted in two more attempts and ultimately exhausting my attempts. Now I am out of the program and have wasted a lot of time.

Thanks,

J

Safari / MacOS / High Sierra

• 1. Re: Weekly quiz feedback and dissatisfaction
          L. Fernigrini

Actually, you did not wasted your time if your learned something abut PL/SQL. Do not forget that the main objective is to learn!!!!

Regarding the questions and the points, each of them is valued 10 points. But in questions that have more than 1 answer, points are "break" among the right answers.

Example

Question 1, only 1 valid option --> 0 or 10 points (either you selected he right answer or you are wrong)

Question 2, 2 valid options --> 0, 5 or 10 points (you missed both valid answers, selected 1 of them or both of them)

Question 3 3 valid options --> 0, 3, 7 or 10 points (you missed all right questions, or selected 1, 2 or the 3 of them)

This is a big difference with Certification exam questions, were you must select ALL right options to gain the points. In this quiz, if you select 2 out of 3 answers, you still receive 6.66 points, in Certification exams you would get 0 points.

• 2. Re: Weekly quiz feedback and dissatisfaction

Lisandro,

That's not wrong, but a lot of people learn in different ways. Unlike a lot of people, I like tests, because I learn really well from them, and the fact that I couldn't see what I was doing wrong on the quiz meant that I started second-guessing what may have been right answers. I didn't know what I was doing wrong, so I couldn't correct myself, and that's really frustrating.

When I passed the other quizzes, the first thing I did was click on my results and analyze the questions I got right, and the questions I got wrong. "I got the wrong answer here because I thought X, but oooooh, because of this syntax here, I should have remembered Y" or something like that.

Thanks,

Pierce J. Thompson

• 3. Re: Weekly quiz feedback and dissatisfaction
              L. Fernigrini

Pierce, I understand that it may be frustrating, but telling you what question is wrong and giving another chance (actually two other chances) are like mutually exclusive, since almost everybody would be able to pass the exam by just trying another combination of answers on the wrong questions.

Even on certification exams, that you cannot retake the exam (and questions change each time you take the same exam) you do not get a list of right/wrong answers, you just get an indication of what general area of the exam you had more problems.

The main objective of this course is to introduce people to Oracle technology. The badge is just a funny thing, but no serious company would consider a free online course as something that makes a difference at the moment of judging a candidate (If you want to cheat, you can google while you answer the quiz and will be able to find the right answers for most of the questions).

After you approve a quiz you see the results, I imagine that the same should be available after failing three times, but not the first time you fail a quiz, in order to avoid (or at least reduce) cheating.

• 4. Re: Weekly quiz feedback and dissatisfaction

Lisandro,

I was speaking to both when failing a quiz once, and when failing a quiz all three times. It does not show you what you did wrong after the three attempts have been maxed out; nor does it show you what general area of the exam you had problems on. My thought was, why not just mark the questions I got wrong? I don't need to see the answers to the questions, I just need a general idea of which question I'm doing poorly on.

(When passing a quiz, it DOES show you which answers you got wrong, which is very nice.)

I'm not even worried about the badges and never mentioned them, like I said, this is how I learn. If the main objective of the course is to learn, and the badges mean nothing, then why not allow showing people the questions after the three failures? "We don't want to allow you to see the questions you got wrong (or the answers)" is directly contradictory to "The entire point of the course is to learn."

Thanks,

Pierce

• 5. Re: Weekly quiz feedback and dissatisfaction
                  L. Fernigrini
                  I was speaking to both when failing a quiz once, and when failing a quiz all three times. It does not show you what you did wrong after the three attempts have been maxed out; nor does it show you what general area of the exam you had problems on. My thought was, why not just mark the questions I got wrong? I don't need to see the answers to the questions, I just need a general idea of which question I'm doing poorly on.

Well, if that is the behaviors, I agree 100% with you that it should be changed and some kind of feedback should be provided. Giving people the chance of learn from their own errors is very important. I undertook from the original post that no information was given after failing the first time, and I believe that such behavior is OK.

I mentioned the badge since many in the forum were kind of worried about completing the course, getting the badge, some posters mentioned that they have wasted their time since they failed three times a quiz and they would not complete the course (and the only thing that kind of validates that is the badge). What I try to emphasize is that the main goal behind the MOOCs is to get people to know Oracle technologies, learning at their own rhythm and the badge is just a funny aspect, but the important thing is to learn.

I have just created an IDEA asking this to be modified:

MOOC - Show results after failing three attempts on quizzes