5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2018 8:22 PM by Gianni Ceresa

empty values font family wont change from default

deahayes

Hi all,

I have been given the task to change the font family of a report BI Answers report to Arial, I was able to successfully do this except for where the values of a field are empty . Particularly for  Grand total option I set format values to Arial, however when export to Excel the blank fields are Calbri, how can I change this on the report without changing the main stylesheet.

Edit dashboard, edit analysis, Results tab, edit table view, column and measures - total after, format labels and format values- set to Arial .

• 1. Re: empty values font family wont change from default
          Gianni Ceresa

deahayes wrote:

a report BI Answers

An "analysis", a report would be a BI Publisher report, in Answer it's an analysis.

deahayes wrote:

...except for where the values of a field are empty . Particularly for Grand total option I set format values to Arial, however when export to Excel the blank fields are Calbri...

Sorry but ... if it the cell is empty why do you care about the font? An empty cell in Arial looks the same as an empty cell in Calibri.

And by the way: calibri isn't set by OBIEE, it's the default font of your Excel, and OBIEE can't set a font of something which doesn't exist ("nothing" is different than NULL or "").

You can change any stylesheet I don't guess it will change that point. But if you set your Excel to use Arial as default font you will get what you want as it's not really an OBIEE in a way ...

• 2. Re: empty values font family wont change from default
            deahayes

Thanks for the clarification,

When the user exports the analysis, they may make changes, they may add a date or value in the blank columns, etc so would like to have consistent font style on entire document. I did go to Excel Options, General tab and change create new workbook to Arial but did not fix my issue, empty columns are still coming up Calibri. Plus, I only need the Arial font on specific analyses not all.

• 3. Re: empty values font family wont change from default
              Thomas Dodds

That's a data governance issue ... users making changes after the fact (why spend the money on a modeling tool like OBIEE?  just dump data sets via queries straight to Excel).

• 4. Re: empty values font family wont change from default
                Christian Berg

Thomas has it right. What's the point of pretending to do any kind of curated and managed analytics when things get exported into Excel and then manipulated?

What about governance? What about compliance? What about data protection rules? What about traceability?

If your employer / client / whatever wants Excel then do things in Excel but don't start bothering curated, rule-based systems with Excel requirements.

• 5. Re: empty values font family wont change from default
                  Gianni Ceresa

I can only agree with Thomas first and Christian after.

Now for your need you are maybe ignoring the best tool for the job: SmartView

Instead of trying to change an export from OBIEE in a kind of Excel format, bring the data directly into Excel so that the format (font etc.) is managed in Excel itself directly and OBIEE just give you numbers.