2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2002 4:01 PM by 44418

Decimal separator problem.

Hello.
      Our team is encountering a problem related to Oracle oipxx.dll decimal separator management.
      We develop using Visual Basic 6 SP 4 and several versions of Oracle Client Suite, ranging from 8.0 to 8.1.7.
      The executable, under several Oracle Client versions prior to 8.1.7, uses commas (",") as decimal separator, while THE SAME program, addressing THE SAME Oracle Server, on a 8.1.7 client PC, needs a dot ("."), or whe obtain a "wrong number" error while attempting to make a record insert/update.
      Do You know where or what Oracle Client and the 0040 object manages the decimal separator character?

Thanks in advance for you help and attention.

Gabriele Sernia.
        • 1. re:Decimal separator problem.
          There are two things to check. The first is the NLS settings for Oracle. These will get applied between the InProcess server and hte RDBMS at the OCI layer. These should be set to reflect your regional language/territory settings. The scond is the regional settings in the control panel. Since the InProcess server is using COM to talk to VB, any native COM data types that pass data to/from the OLE layer will have the regional settings applied to them.
          • 2. re:Decimal separator problem.
            Be aware of your session settings.
            I didnot reproduce your problem but in the past I came across simular problems by switching between databases
            and their releases,
            which I solved by forcing my session parameters:
            ALTER SESSION SET NL_NUMERIC_CHARACTERS = 'dg'

d: standing for decimal character
            g: standing for group separator.

Hopes this solves your problem (in the later releases of the manuals it is more cryptic described then in the older ones.

Marc van Nes
            GIS Consultant
            Shell U.K. Exploration and Production

Email: M.vannes@expro.shell.co.uk
            Hello.
            Our team is encountering a problem related to Oracle oipxx.dll decimal separator management.
            We develop using Visual Basic 6 SP 4 and several versions of Oracle Client Suite, ranging from 8.0 to 8.1.7.
            The executable, under several Oracle Client versions prior to 8.1.7, uses commas (",") as decimal separator, while THE SAME program, addressing THE SAME Oracle Server, on a 8.1.7 client PC, needs a dot ("."), or whe obtain a "wrong number" error while attempting to make a record insert/update.
            Do You know where or what Oracle Client and the 0040 object manages the decimal separator character?
            Thanks in advance for you help and attention.
            Gabriele Sernia.