8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2018 4:00 PM by alwu-Oracle

oracle property graph cytoscape plugin doesn't run in my system

I have downloaded oracle property graph cytoscape plugin and followed the instructions in the document provided by this plugin in the zip file. I copy the propertyGraphSupportRDBMS.jar to the "~\CytoscapeConfiguration\3\apps\installed" folder and also copied propertyGraph.properties in "CytoscapeConfiguration" as mentioned in the supporting document. After changing the propertyGraph.properties file based on my RDBMS database. To start the execution of the Cytoscape App, in the cmd I go to the Cytoscape installation folder and type startCytoscape.bat, the cytoscape progress bar proceeds and shows that it has been started, while in the cmd I get some errors

log4j:ERROR A"org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender" object is not assignable to a "org.log4j.Appender"

log4j:ERROR Could not instantiate appender named "A1"

And I get no action from cytoscape! I don't know what should I do for using cytoscape. Also I don't know if the errors are important and how can I fix them.
      Please help

• 1. Re: oracle property graph cytoscape plugin doesn't run in my system
          alwu-Oracle

Hi,

Sounds like you did the right configuration. Are you using Oracle JDK 8? Note that those LOG4J ERROR messages at the very beginning can be safely ignored.

This is screenshot of what I see after kicking off the bat script. Note that there are quite a few new property graph related icons right below the menu.

9pojdwsy.bmp

Thanks,

Zhe Wu

• 2. Re: oracle property graph cytoscape plugin doesn't run in my system

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I use jdk 8.

I changed my cytoscape version to 3.2.0 and tried again. In this version, I also see the log4j errors but the cytoscape page was displayed and I loadded the graph from database. but some of the algorithms like shortest path didn't work on the graph and some errors were thrown in the cmd page.

Unfortunately, I couldn't see my desired results from the cytoscape ...

Please Help

• 3. Re: oracle property graph cytoscape plugin doesn't run in my system
              alwu-Oracle

I am glad that you can see the PG functions.

A few things to check:

1) did you start PGX server? A script (start-server.bat) can be used.

2) did you highlight two vertices and then run shortest path?

Please feel free to copy & paste the error messages.

Thanks,

Zhe Wu

• 4. Re: oracle property graph cytoscape plugin doesn't run in my system

Thanks a lot.

Those two points are ok.

I noticed that the origin of the exceptions is this error:

SwingWorker-pool-9-thread-8 ERROR [PGLOGGER] - getShortestPath()

java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: java.lang.Exception: detected invalid configuration fields [attributes] (through reference chain: oracle.pgx.common.pojo.CreateGraphRequest["graphConfig"])

at java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.reportGet(CompletableFuture.java:357)

at java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.get(CompletableFuture.java:1887)

at oracle.pgx.api.PgxFuture.get(PgxFuture.java:86)

at oracle.pgx.api.PgxSession.readGraphWithProperties(PgxSession.java:1562)

at oracle.spatial.propertyGraph.client.visualization.cytoscape.util.PGXUtilities.getShortestPath(PGXUtilities.java:1463)

at oracle.spatial.propertyGraph.client.visualization.cytoscape.gui.PGShortestPath.searchPath(PGShortestPath.java:784)

at oracle.spatial.propertyGraph.client.visualization.cytoscape.gui.PGShortestPath.access$700(PGShortestPath.java:125)

at oracle.spatial.propertyGraph.client.visualization.cytoscape.gui.PGShortestPath$DoDijkstraShortestPath.doInBackground(PGShortestPath.java:1273)

at oracle.spatial.propertyGraph.client.visualization.cytoscape.gui.PGShortestPath$DoDijkstraShortestPath.doInBackground(PGShortestPath.java:1225)

at javax.swing.SwingWorker$1.call(SwingWorker.java:295)

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)

at javax.swing.SwingWorker.run(SwingWorker.java:334)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

Caused by: java.lang.Exception: detected invalid configuration fields [attributes] (through reference chain: oracle.pgx.common.pojo.CreateGraphRequest["graphConfig"])

at oracle.pgx.common.marshalers.ExceptionMarshaler.toUnserializedException(ExceptionMarshaler.java:83)

at oracle.pgx.common.marshalers.ExceptionMarshaler.unmarshal(ExceptionMarshaler.java:96)

at oracle.pgx.client.RemoteUtils.parseExceptionalResponse(RemoteUtils.java:118)

at oracle.pgx.client.RemoteUtils.getResponseContent(RemoteUtils.java:83)

at oracle.pgx.client.RemoteUtils.parse(RemoteUtils.java:141)

at oracle.pgx.client.RemoteUtils.post(RemoteUtils.java:193)

at oracle.pgx.client.RemoteCoreImpl$4.request(RemoteCoreImpl.java:495)

at oracle.pgx.client.RemoteCoreImpl$CoreRequest.request(RemoteCoreImpl.java:254)

at oracle.pgx.client.RemoteCoreImpl$CoreRequest.request(RemoteCoreImpl.java:245)

at oracle.pgx.client.AbstractFutureRequest.execute(AbstractFutureRequest.java:42)

at oracle.pgx.client.RemoteCoreImpl.request(RemoteCoreImpl.java:238)

at oracle.pgx.client.RemoteCoreImpl.loadGraphWithProperties(RemoteCoreImpl.java:487)

at oracle.pgx.api.PgxSession.readGraphWithPropertiesAsync(PgxSession.java:779)

at oracle.pgx.api.PgxSession.readGraphWithPropertiesAsync(PgxSession.java:740)

at oracle.pgx.api.PgxSession.readGraphWithPropertiesAsync(PgxSession.java:721)

... 12 more

SwingWorker-pool-9-thread-9 WARN [PGLOGGER] -   ERROR with the loaded properties:

[oracle-pg-indexing-conf-name= configuration name,

oracle-pg-indexing-solr-server-url= host.domain:port/solr,

oracle-pg-indexing-solr-node-set= host.domain:port_solr,

oracle-pg-indexing-solr-zookeeper-timeout= 15,

oracle-pg-indexing-solr-num-of-shards= 1,

oracle-pg-indexing-solr-replication-factor= 1,

oracle-pg-indexing-solr-max-shards-per-node= 1,

oracle-pg-indexing-solr-number-connections= null,

oracle-pg-indexing-solr-batch-size= 10000,

oracle-pg-indexing-solr-default-size= 500000,

oracle-pg-indexing-solr-write-timeout= 15]

I guess that something is wrong with pgx. The database that I connect to, is on the server and I the config file is like this

######################################################################

# File: propertyGraph.properties

# Description: This file is used to customize the options

#            for Oracle Spatial and Graph support for Cytoscape

#These attributes are used to configure the SolrCloud search engine

oracle-pg-indexing-solr-server-url=host.domain\:port/solr

oracle-pg-indexing-conf-name=configuration name

oracle-pg-indexing-solr-node-set=host.domain\:port_solr

oracle-pg-indexing-solr-num-of-shards=1

oracle-pg-indexing-solr-num-of-connections=1

oracle-pg-indexing-solr-zookeeper-timeout=15

oracle-pg-indexing-solr-replication-factor=1

oracle-pg-indexing-solr-max-shards-per-node=1

oracle-pg-indexing-solr-batch-size=10000

oracle-pg-indexing-solr-default-size=500000

oracle-pg-indexing-solr-write-timeout=15

oracle-pg-enable-datatypes=true

# These values are used to customize the annotations that display the

# properties and values, especially when values are very long

oracle-pg-max-chars-displayed=50

#possible values are: {prefix,suffix,prefix-suffix}

oracle-pg-show-large-values=prefix

oracle-pg-dop=2

oracle-pg-max-size=5000

oracle-pg-log-to-file=false

oracle-pg-enable-animation=true

oracle-pg-max-expansion-vertices=300

oracle-pg-max-expansion-edges=300

# These values are used to perform the Dijkstra's algorithm to find

# the shortest path using the in-memory analytics

oracle-pg-edge-weight-key=weight

oracle-pg-edge-weight-type=DOUBLE

# These values are used in the Pgx engine

oracle-pg-pgx.num.workers.io=1

oracle-pg-pgx.num.workers.analysis=1

oracle-pg-pgx.server.instance.url=http://172.16.16.111:7007/

# These attributes are used for RDBMS property graph

oracle.rdbms.jdbc-url=jdbc:oracle:thin:@172.16.16.111:2483:fdb

oracle.rdbms.username=graph

oracle.rdbms.graph-name=MYGRAPH

# For searching using Oracle text

oracle-pg-text.owner=MDSYS

oracle-pg-lexer=OPG_AUTO_LEXER

# These attributes are used for RDF Views

oracle.rdf.view.jdbc-url=jdbc:oracle:thin:@localhost:port:sid

oracle.rdf.view.username=username

oracle.rdf.view.model-name=rdfModelName

• 5. Re: oracle property graph cytoscape plugin doesn't run in my system

Thanks a lot.

Those two points are ok.

I noticed that the origin of the exceptions is this error:

SwingWorker-pool-9-thread-8 ERROR [PGLOGGER] - getShortestPath()

java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: java.lang.Exception: detected invalid configuration fields [attributes] (through reference chain: oracle.pgx.common.pojo.CreateGraphRequest["graphConfig"])

at java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.reportGet(CompletableFuture.java:357)

at java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.get(CompletableFuture.java:1887)

at oracle.pgx.api.PgxFuture.get(PgxFuture.java:86)

at oracle.pgx.api.PgxSession.readGraphWithProperties(PgxSession.java:1562)

at oracle.spatial.propertyGraph.client.visualization.cytoscape.util.PGXUtilities.getShortestPath(PGXUtilities.java:1463)

at oracle.spatial.propertyGraph.client.visualization.cytoscape.gui.PGShortestPath.searchPath(PGShortestPath.java:784)

at oracle.spatial.propertyGraph.client.visualization.cytoscape.gui.PGShortestPath.access$700(PGShortestPath.java:125)

at oracle.spatial.propertyGraph.client.visualization.cytoscape.gui.PGShortestPath$DoDijkstraShortestPath.doInBackground(PGShortestPath.java:1273)

at oracle.spatial.propertyGraph.client.visualization.cytoscape.gui.PGShortestPath$DoDijkstraShortestPath.doInBackground(PGShortestPath.java:1225)

at javax.swing.SwingWorker$1.call(SwingWorker.java:295)

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)

at javax.swing.SwingWorker.run(SwingWorker.java:334)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617)

Caused by: java.lang.Exception: detected invalid configuration fields [attributes] (through reference chain: oracle.pgx.common.pojo.CreateGraphRequest["graphConfig"])

at oracle.pgx.common.marshalers.ExceptionMarshaler.toUnserializedException(ExceptionMarshaler.java:83)

at oracle.pgx.common.marshalers.ExceptionMarshaler.unmarshal(ExceptionMarshaler.java:96)

at oracle.pgx.client.RemoteUtils.parseExceptionalResponse(RemoteUtils.java:118)

at oracle.pgx.client.RemoteUtils.getResponseContent(RemoteUtils.java:83)

at oracle.pgx.client.RemoteUtils.parse(RemoteUtils.java:141)

at oracle.pgx.client.RemoteUtils.post(RemoteUtils.java:193)

at oracle.pgx.client.RemoteCoreImpl$4.request(RemoteCoreImpl.java:495)

at oracle.pgx.client.RemoteCoreImpl$CoreRequest.request(RemoteCoreImpl.java:254)

at oracle.pgx.client.RemoteCoreImpl$CoreRequest.request(RemoteCoreImpl.java:245)

at oracle.pgx.client.AbstractFutureRequest.execute(AbstractFutureRequest.java:42)

at oracle.pgx.client.RemoteCoreImpl.request(RemoteCoreImpl.java:238)

at oracle.pgx.client.RemoteCoreImpl.loadGraphWithProperties(RemoteCoreImpl.java:487)

at oracle.pgx.api.PgxSession.readGraphWithPropertiesAsync(PgxSession.java:779)

at oracle.pgx.api.PgxSession.readGraphWithPropertiesAsync(PgxSession.java:740)

at oracle.pgx.api.PgxSession.readGraphWithPropertiesAsync(PgxSession.java:721)

... 12 more

I guess that something is wrong with pgx. The database that I connect to, is on the server and I the config file is like this

#oracle-pg-indexing-solr-server-url=host.domain\:port/solr

#oracle-pg-indexing-conf-name=configuration name

#oracle-pg-indexing-solr-node-set=host.domain\:port_solr

#oracle-pg-indexing-solr-num-of-shards=1

#oracle-pg-indexing-solr-num-of-connections=1

#oracle-pg-indexing-solr-zookeeper-timeout=15

#oracle-pg-indexing-solr-replication-factor=1

#oracle-pg-indexing-solr-max-shards-per-node=1

#oracle-pg-indexing-solr-batch-size=10000

#oracle-pg-indexing-solr-default-size=500000

#oracle-pg-indexing-solr-write-timeout=15

# These values are used to customize the annotations that display the

# properties and values, especially when values are very long

oracle-pg-max-chars-displayed=50

#possible values are: {prefix,suffix,prefix-suffix}

oracle-pg-show-large-values=prefix

oracle-pg-dop=1

oracle-pg-max-size=500

oracle-pg-log-to-file=false

oracle-pg-enable-animation=true

oracle-pg-max-expansion-vertices=300

oracle-pg-max-expansion-edges=300

# These values are used to perform the Dijkstra's algorithm to find

# the shortest path using the in-memory analytics

oracle-pg-edge-weight-key=weight

oracle-pg-edge-weight-type=DOUBLE

# These values are used in the Pgx engine

oracle-pg-pgx.num.workers.io=1

oracle-pg-pgx.num.workers.analysis=1

oracle-pg-pgx.server.instance.url=http://172.16.16.111:7007/

# These attributes are used for RDBMS property graph

oracle.rdbms.jdbc-url=jdbc:oracle:thin:@172.16.16.111:2483:fdb

oracle.rdbms.username=graph

oracle.rdbms.graph-name=MYGRAPH

# For searching using Oracle text

oracle-pg-text.owner=MDSYS

oracle-pg-lexer=OPG_AUTO_LEXER

# These attributes are used for RDF Views

#oracle.rdf.view.jdbc-url=jdbc:oracle:thin:@localhost:port:sid

#oracle.rdf.view.username=username

#oracle.rdf.view.model-name=rdfModelName

• 6. Re: oracle property graph cytoscape plugin doesn't run in my system
                    alwu-Oracle

Did you start the PGX server that is part of Oracle Database 12.2.0.1 (with the PGQL patch)? The error means that the client and PGX server version do not match.

See the following blog for the PGQL patch.

https://blogs.oracle.com/oraclespatial/property-graph-query-language-pgql-support-has-been-added-to-oracle-database-1220…

Thanks,

Zhe Wu

• 7. Re: oracle property graph cytoscape plugin doesn't run in my system

Thanks a lot, I added the patch and it fixed all the errors but one! after executing startCytoscape.bat I see the error below:

java.net.UnknownHostException: chianti.ucsd.edu

at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connect(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:184)

at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:172)

at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.java:392)

at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:589)

at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:538)

at sun.net.NetworkClient.doConnect(NetworkClient.java:180)

at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.openServer(HttpClient.java:432)

at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.openServer(HttpClient.java:527)

at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.<init>(HttpClient.java:211)

at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.New(HttpClient.java:308)

at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.New(HttpClient.java:326)

at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getNewHttpClient(HttpURLConnection.java:1167)

at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.plainConnect0(HttpURLConnection.java:1103)

at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.plainConnect(HttpURLConnection.java:997)

at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.connect(HttpURLConnection.java:931)

at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream0(HttpURLConnection.java:1511)

at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(HttpURLConnection.java:1439)

at java.net.HttpURLConnection.getResponseCode(HttpURLConnection.java:480)

at javax.swing.JEditorPane.getStream(JEditorPane.java:736)

at javax.swing.JEditorPane.setPage(JEditorPane.java:435)

at javax.swing.JEditorPane.setPage(JEditorPane.java:883)

at org.cytoscape.welcome.internal.panel.StatusPanel$2.run(StatusPanel.java:107)

Does it relate to solrCloud? and is the solrCloud optional for Cytoscape or it's mandatory?

• 8. Re: oracle property graph cytoscape plugin doesn't run in my system
                        alwu-Oracle

Hi,

You are very welcome. Actually, this error message has nothing to do with the property graph functions.

It is that the Cytoscape itself needs to reach out to its mothership (chianti.ucsd.edu) to see if there is any updates.

You can safely ignore this exception.

BTW, SolrCloud is optional.

Hope it helps,

Zhe Wu