There's no reason why this should happen, you can combine the two options.
You cant change the physical % complete when you haven't marked the activity as started - is that the issue?
Hi David, Thank you for your response. The activities have an actual start so it’s not the case. The physical % completes already have a value > 0. But cannot update since the physical % complete field is locked. I strongly think that the field got locked since declaring activity % complete is based on steps..
Appreciate the input.
Tried to re-create your problem.
- I created a new project
- Added an activity
- Added 3 steps
- Marked as started
- Changed the physical % complete to 20%
- Changed the project calculation to 'based on steps'
- Said "Yes" to the following question
- Physical % complete has now been set back to 0
- Not possible to change the physical % Complete of the activity that is already there
- New activities, you can manually change once marked as started
- New activity has step added
- Say yes to question below
- Physical % Complete has been set back to 0
So, as originally suggested - you can combine the two, ie have some using steps and some not.
but you cannot change manually once an activity has steps. That would be deliberate by design, and i'd agree it makes sense..
Hopefully i have, and that's answered your question?
<edited for comprehension>
David, Thanks again for going through the steps.
I am trying to manually change the physical % complete in an activity that has no steps.. Not every activity in my schedule has steps. Some have steps and some don’t. I am not trying to manually change the % complete in an activity that has steps. I am trying to change it in an activity that has no steps.
~WRD000.jpg 823 bytes
Odd - can you post a few pics?
One more thing I just noticed was that I can change the physical % complete in “some” activities not in others. Can’t explain that.. I will try to send you an “xer” snippet Monday. Thanks much for your help.
Grand - no problem at all