1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2018 6:19 PM by Christian Berg

Renaming the shared folder path

Charles M

Hi All,

We need to rename our sharerd folder path in our Dev and UAT instances, as they do not match this path in production - please see the below screenshots detailing the differences.

What is the best practice for this? For example, should I take the complete production catalog and import it back into the lower environments? We also have some things in UAT & Dev that we would like to save.

We had discovered this during migrations, and I had opened: Getting 'Referenced Catalog Object Inaccessible' after dahsboard migration to fix the issue.

OBIEE 11.1.1.9.3 (OBIA 11.1.1.10.1)

Regards,

Charles

• 1. Re: Renaming the shared folder path
          Gianni Ceresa

Hi,

Of course you can take the prod one and bring it back in other environments as long as the content of DEV and UAT not being in prod is not too much (so it's easy to backup first and reload after bringing back the catalog from PROD).

Otherwise the solution is quite simple once you understand how things are referenced inside the catalog. The objects in the catalog are XML files, the references are always absolute paths from the root of the catalog. So if you want to rename folders in your catalog you can do it and then you do a "search & replace" from the catalog manager over the whole catalog to find the old paths and replace them with the new one.

Just make sure the "search" criteria is explicit enough to not match unwanted things. In your case you can't search for "Reports" and replace it with "Folder" as there are too many chances to match that word in a different context. But if you search for "/shared/   BI Reports/" and replace by "/shared/   BI Folder/" you have a lot less chances to have wrong matches.

Just keep in mind search & replace can't be undone, so you better make sure to have a backup before to do it.

• 2. Re: Renaming the shared folder path
            Charles M

Hi Gianni,

Just to confirm ... the full catalog backup can be done on the OS, right? I was reading the Oracle documentation, and it said not to use the Catalog Manager for archiving and unarchiving entire catalogs.

I am on Linux, so I am using tar & gzip (on the directory just above root ... in my case, it is called 'OracleBIApps'). That ok?

https://docs.oracle.com/middleware/11119/biee/BIESG/prescatadmin.htm#i1038408

Regards,

Charles

• 3. Re: Renaming the shared folder path
              Christian Berg

Yeap ypou can do it on OS level. Just take the whole thing and do nit forget the .atr files.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Renaming the shared folder path
                Christian Berg

Oh and also re "not to use catalog manager" - unless someone specifies WHY I say it's perfectly ok to use CatMan or the runcat command line!

• 5. Re: Renaming the shared folder path
                  Gianni Ceresa

As Christian said, you can do it on OS as long as you keep the permissions and ownership of the files/folders (just to avoid issues).

If you do it on the folder above "root" the good thing is that you will also have root.atr because without your catalog is kind of useless (like any other .atr all around the catalog).

For this kind of backup I guess the OS one could be maybe faster than Cat Manager just because of the amount of things to archive, but it's a theory.

Once again as Christian said: without a WHY I don't see a reason to exclude cat manager directly. But true that a filesystem backup is probably easier in this case.

• 6. Re: Renaming the shared folder path
                    Charles M

Thanks for confirming Christian. Also, it's good to know the Catalog Manager is an option too. I find the documentation on the Presentation Catalog/Catalog Manager to be a bit confusing anyway ...

Gianni Ceresa - Thanks for mentioning permissions/ownership. Definitely an important point!

But, back to the XML Search and Replace ...

I am not getting any replacements made. Its strange, because when I do a regular search, it finds a match against the folder. I use the same exact string for the search and replace and it says "no changes made". I'm not sure why. Is it maybe because I have the CM open online? I saw in the docs that it said there may be issues trying to do the search & place in online mode. I should have the privileges to do this though. I tried first with the owner of the folder (which is an admin-type account in our instance), and then again with weblogic. I Don't think this is a privilege issue?

One complication is that I don't even see an option to open the catalog in offline mode. Argh!

My CM version is 11.1.1.9.0

Regards,

Charles

• 7. Re: Renaming the shared folder path
                      Gianni Ceresa

Catalog Manager in offline mode isn't needed for a whole catalog search&replace.

One of the things making it a bit weird is possible encoding or special characters. And of course Catalog Manager doesn't help you because it shows you something but it isn't really exactly what the catalog contains (because Catalog Manager decode things on screen).

What's the exact thing you are searching for? Any special character in it which could be encoded?

• 8. Re: Renaming the shared folder path
                        Charles M

Ok, thanks Gianni. I don't think there are any special characters, only spaces. I've whited-out some characters, due to the public forum, but they are only letters.

Let's say, for example, it is: ABC BI Reports

Like, I was saying though, the search finds it as a folder ...

• 9. Re: Renaming the shared folder path
                          Christian Berg

True. Never underestimate "&" vs "&" for example.

The real source of truth in the end is what's physically on the file system.

A subject area called "Marketing&Advertisement" may well be referenced as "Marketing&Advertisement"

• 10. Re: Renaming the shared folder path
                            Gianni Ceresa

And what about "Marketing&Advertisement" ? Never underestimate double encoding because web interface and XML

(not saying it's the case, but everything is possible ....)

• 11. Re: Renaming the shared folder path
                              Gianni Ceresa

Pedro F : didn't you have some fun not long ago with search&replace and paths?

• 12. Re: Renaming the shared folder path
                                Christian Berg

True actually. Love the double encoding.

• 13. Re: Renaming the shared folder path
                                  Charles M

Hi,

I was able to run the search & replace. This time, It looks like it made some changes (I copied the list out to a text file). Couple things: I noticed that it did not do anything with any of the users folders, other than the one of the user that I ran it as; seems like there were permissions errors.

Also, I still see the same name of that folder. Do I need to bounce the application, or reload the catalog in some way for the changes to reflect?

Regards,

Charles

• 14. Re: Renaming the shared folder path
                                    Gianni Ceresa

Oh, I forgot to write it but sounded obvious in my mind

You still have to rename the folder yourself by hand (in cat manager, not on the filesystem), just a right click rename or something like that.

The "search & replace" will only change all the references so that the various pieces will link to the new folder name.

True, "search & replace" is limited by the catalog permissions, so you have in general no access to user folders.

Do your users have links in their personal folders to content from the shared folder? I wasn't thinking at this case, so to solve it and if you want to be sure I guess that the search & replace by command in offline mode will cover that case as it is supposed to be able to go into users folders for that.

Just run "runcat.sh -help" and you will see there is a command for search and replace there as well and it will have a parameter to say online or offline.

1 2 Previous Next