1 2 Previous Next 0 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2018 10:14 PM by Oqelu

Allow to reply forever

Oqelu

I have something interesting, or important to reply on some topics.

But there's no button "Reply".

There is a notice: "Archived".

Workaround: create a public blog, or send a private message to author.

The latter is cumbersome.

Both methods are away from the original post. A visitor may fail to see them.

• 1. Re: Allow to reply forever
          Timo Hahn

Or you open a new discussion for the topic. In the discussion you like to the older thread and can add your comments.

Timo

• 2. Re: Allow to reply forever
            Oqelu

What do you mean by the second sentence?.. Starting with the word: like.

Perhaps you meant "link".

The problem with a new discussion on a duplicate topic is that very soon it would close. So, we would duplicate it again, and again... There would be too many duplicates.

• 3. Re: Allow to reply forever
              Timo Hahn

Yes, it should be 'link'.

If your new topic, the addon to the old discussion is 'hot' it will keep the discussion open. Only if there is no action for 120d (I guess) the discussion will be archived In this case the discussion is not assumed to be 'hot' any longer.

Timo

• 4. Re: Allow to reply forever
                BluShadow

As Timo says, "archived" discussions are archived for the very reason that they have been inactive for 120 days.

On this community, discussion topics are being created all the time, so the ones that are active will have activity on them well within that timeframe.

If a topic becomes inactive for that length of time, then it's fair to assume that the discussion in its current form, has run its course, hence why the community platform has been configured to automatically archive such discussions.

It's not a problem to start a new discussion and link back to the old one if you feel it's justified to re-start the discussion, but if that too runs its course, then it too will become archived.

Part of the reason for the archiving is that we have a history of people coming along and dragging up old discussions just to say things like "thanks it helped" or "good one" or such nonsense which, that's fine, they found something useful, but digging up an old thread, brings it back to the top of the active threads, and if they've not really added anything useful then it just gets in the way of current discussions and questions.

• 5. Re: Allow to reply forever
                  Oqelu

Please to not change the topic. I do not discuss how to post rubbish. I wrote about interesting posts.

A rubbish author can create a duplicate topic just as well.

Then there would be many pieces of rubbish in multiple duplicate topics.

It is better to keep all rubbish in 1 topic. It is easier to clean 1 place than several. That is why it makes no sense to close topics.

It also makes no sense to put a time on timeless topics. Time is not a measure of truth.

Even if a new post in the topic is rubbish, it does not mean the topic should not rise to the top in the list. Even rubbish means that the topic deserves attention. You may delete rubbish, and allow the topic to linger at the top. Or you may sink it manually.

If your system does not allow to sink, then it is a shortcoming of the system. You should fix it, instead of confirming it.

• 6. Re: Allow to reply forever
                    BluShadow

I haven't changed the topic.

I was explaining the historical reason why the archiving was introduced... because we had people who were dragging lots of old threads up to the top of the active threads by posting things that were not worthy of re-igniting those discussions.

Even rubbish means that the topic deserves attention. You may delete rubbish, and allow the topic to linger at the top. Or you may sink it manually.

Not possible.

We are a limited number of moderators, volunteering to help on the community, with our own day jobs to do.  We cannot spend all our time deleting nonsensical posts (and in fact we are not permitted to - the admin have to delete posts).  The archiving feature was introduced for the very reason it was becoming a problem and upsetting regular members who were trying to focus on currently active discussions.  That is why it makes perfect sense to close topics... we have experience of the problems it causes if they are not.

We also cannot manually sink discussions - the community doesn't work like that - and we cannot fix it, as the platform is 3rd party and doesn't do it.

It also makes no sense to put a time on timeless topics. Time is not a measure of truth.

Certainly, some topics are valid for longer, and there's no reason that people cannot start a new discussion on it if they want.  This isn't a place like StackOverflow where threads are closed as being a duplicate, just because someone else has raised it before in the past.

I'm not saying your idea was rubbish, or that you specifically want to post rubbish, but as a newbie to the community you may want to get a feel for how it works and see if it's really a problem as well as finding out if there's a reason for such features.  As I've explained, this is a feature that was deliberately introduced to resolve an issue.  Sure you can raise your idea to change that but, in this particular case, it's unlikely to happen; and that is all that is being explained to you.

• 7. Re: Allow to reply forever
                      Oqelu

You just confirmed all my points. For example that the system is bad, and you can't fix it; hence you choose to act in the same bad way as the system restricts you to.

You forgot my point that your bad system does not prevent rubbish. It may still appear as duplicate topics.

It does not take an hour to delete rubbish. It is bad that very few people are allowed to delete. This also means that there are very few reliable people.

I did see an icon for "ideas" somewhere. But did not find how to raise them. Perhaps something does not work to show it.

I consider duplicate topics as trash. This means that you urge me to trash.

Could you unlock all topics just for me then? I allow you to lock them up again, if I trash anywhere. If you lack time to delete rubbish, I can help. Give me the right. I will delete it, when I see it.

• 8. Re: Allow to reply forever
                        Dude!

Forum threads that have gained popularity over time are a common target for spammers and topic hijackers. Unfortunately, abuse and people who are trying to get their 15 minutes of world fame is something you can rely on.

As I recall, the archiving policy, when introduced at the end of 2013, was always considered a compromise considering what is technically feasible and reasonable. There are situations where the archiving policy falls short and this is well known. For example, the original thread has no reference to a new thread and a new thread may not appear in search results due to popularity, or lack of it.

Anyway, the topic has already been discussed to a great deal in the past. If you search the Community Idea space on "archiving" you can find alternative suggestions and more info.

I have something interesting, or important to reply on some topics.

Generally speaking, I haven't seen much interesting or important recently, and those threads are not archived.

• 9. Re: Allow to reply forever
                          BluShadow

Oqelu wrote:

You just confirmed all my points. For example that the system is bad, and you can't fix it; hence you choose to act in the same bad way as the system restricts you to.

You forgot my point that your bad system does not prevent rubbish. It may still appear as duplicate topics.

It does not take an hour to delete rubbish. It is bad that very few people are allowed to delete. This also means that there are very few reliable people.

I did see an icon for "ideas" somewhere. But did not find how to raise them. Perhaps something does not work to show it.

I consider duplicate topics as trash. This means that you urge me to trash.

Could you unlock all topics just for me then? I allow you to lock them up again, if I trash anywhere. If you lack time to delete rubbish, I can help. Give me the right. I will delete it, when I see it.

If the system was that "bad" then people wouldn't have been using it for all these years.

We do have methods to prevent rubbish, because we're a community, and if people spot things they believe shouldn't be there (spam or suchlike) then they are good enough to report it and bring it to the attention of the moderators/admin who can then deal with it.

It does not take an hour to delete rubbish

I'm glad you feel you are such an expert on the running of this community.  However, you are wrong.

It is bad that very few people are allowed to delete. This also means that there are very few reliable people.

Talk about jumping to conclusions.  All that demonstrates is that you know nothing about this community or the reasons why things are done as they are.

And no, we cannot unlock topics just for you.

To be honest, if you find the community that bad, then you're probably better going elsewhere to post.  Most people here are professionals wanting to deal with topics in a professional manner.  They don't typically go around saying that everything is bad or rubbish, they question things in a professional manner and try to understand from the experts.

I notice from some of your other posts that you seem to be on a mission to point out the "failure" of other things to.  What a joyful life.

[edit: correct typo]

• 10. Re: Allow to reply forever
                            Billy~Verreynne

You are making a mountain from a molehill.

On the vast majority of forums I've been on, resurrecting an old and dead thread is frowned upon. And if you want to start a new discussion on that thread's subject matter, do it with a brand new thread and add a link to the old thread as reference. This is the most appropriate action.

And your attitude towards the moderators here, who only have been friendly and helpful, is uncalled for. If you think "the system" is bad and problematic, then simply cease using OTN.

• 11. Re: Allow to reply forever
                              Dude!

The OP may have a legitimate concern or just trolling along. I'm guessing the later as the OP has not figured out yet how the platform works and what edit or delete functions are available, but is very quick to berate the community, calling people unreliable, or even lazy in another post. On the other hand, is unable to realize that the mentioned idea has already been marked as a dead horse.

• 12. Re: Allow to reply forever
                                Oqelu

Why all these passages?..

Why not just reply to my concern that a duplicate topic is trash in itself. I see nothing to frown upon an old topic just because it is old.

You provide no reason. You only provide conclusions.

When you fail to argue, you call an opponent a troll. And again provide no evidence.

• 13. Re: Allow to reply forever
                                  Dude!

I probably shouldn't even respond, but sorry, I'm not interested to argue whether or not a duplicate topic is trash. It's pointless and I suggest you get some experience first before berating the community. I don't see you as an opponent. It seems to me however you see yourself or matter overly important. I leave it up to you to provide evidence.

• 14. Re: Allow to reply forever
                                    Billy~Verreynne

Most new posting are "duplicate discussions" of issues and problems that have been raised before - numerous times.

Why is it not "trash" as you crudely put it? Because the duplicate issue or problem is from the unique perspective of the OP (original poster). And most responses are taking that into consideration.

Digging up an old discussion that has long since been finalised, and is over and done with, is a very poor, silly, and ignorant, response.

The OP that owns that thread, and forum members that responded, have moved on. Suddenly adding new postings to such an old thread does not solve the OP's year(s) old problem - nor is of interest to forum members, as that discussion is done.

You want to raise an issue? Post a NEW thread, and LINK to the old discussion. As this is the sane and logical thing to do...

1 2 Previous Next