5 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2018 10:06 AM by Debiprasad Dey

How long does it take to mark an email as Hard Bounce

katemfleming

Hello -

I am curious to know how long it takes Eloqua to determine that a email address isn't valid and mark it as a hard bounce?  I am doing some testing for our salesforce / eloqua integration.  I have created a known bad email and it is showing in Eloqua as valid.  When I send via gmail or other emails it immediately is returned as invalid.

At what point will Eloqua figure out that the email isn't valid?

Thank you!

• 1. Re: How long does it take to mark an email as Hard Bounce
          adomalik

Further to this question, how can we see what specific email or campaign triggers a contact getting marked as a Hard Bounce.

I'm noticing a converse issue in Eloqua where VALID email addresses are being marked as invalid.

• 2. Re: How long does it take to mark an email as Hard Bounce
            Renuka16

Hi

To know more about Please check here

Also when the email is created for the first time it will be shown as valid. Just blast a email from the campaign to that address with in sometime it will be changed into hardbounce.

• 3. Re: How long does it take to mark an email as Hard Bounce
              Gowtham_Palanisamy

It will take 20 - 25 mins to reflect in Eloqua and based on the program that you have configured for Integration it will take additional time to pass it to CRM.

• 4. Re: How long does it take to mark an email as Hard Bounce
                HongTai

Hi Kate,

From my understanding it could take about 2-3 hours for Eloqua to "OFFICIALLY" confirm it's a hard bounceback.  I do recall there was "process" that when an email is "undelivered", Eloqua servers would hold onto it and try again 2-3 times.  If it consistently returns as undeliverable with "x" respective messages it would declare it as a type of bounce, and in this case, a hard bounce.

It's not that Eloqua doesn't "see" it return as an invalid address, it's just trying again in case the recipient's email server may have had just "made a mistake" or was temporarily down or anything like that.

So, pairing that with the CRM update program, give it at least half a day to check in your SFDC, or at least a good 2-3 hours in the Eloqua side to see it confirmed.  Hope this helps!

Best Regards,

Hong Tai Lee

• 5. Re: How long does it take to mark an email as Hard Bounce
                  Debiprasad Dey

Hi,

In a recent implementation we got some more clarity this process where Eloqua is marking the contacts as hard bounced after passing through a email step using Campaign.

1) If the contact email is having Valid SMTP server name and valid domain name (Example : 123@gmail.com). In this case Eloqua will mark it as hard bounced within some 2 to 3 mins

2) In case contact email address is like 123@gmail1.com or 123@gmail.c*om in this case Eloqua will be looking for the SMTP server or looking for the domain availability, and it will be waiting for the response from the SMTP server for the email delivery status which it will never get. In this case Eloqua will not mark these contact as hard bounced. It will show as valid contact in Eloqua.

regards

Debi Prasad Dey